humptybump

Well Known Member
I've recently installed a G3X system with AP and Garmin servos. I'm not totally happy with the performance yet. The altitude and VNAV seem pretty good. The tracking seems very robotic. It will roll a little and then level the wings then a few seconds later it will repeat or it will reverse the roll and then level again. It's very noticeable to me.

This can't be normal for a Garmin AP. It's nothing like my prior AP which made micro adjustments and you never really noticed any track adjustments - even in turbulence.

G3X Settings ...

The roll servo settings are: Torque 50%, Gain 0.80

The pitch servo settings are: Torque 50%, Gain 1.00

If I set the roll gain above 1.00, the plane rocks left&right.

Last edited:
the weather here has been horrible for a grass runway. Today was my first opportunity to run the tests and calibration setup recommended by G3Xpert. Here are my new settings:

Roll Servo
· Max Torque = 20%
· Servo Gain = 0.50
· Fine Adjust Amount = 1
· Fine Adjust Time = 0.20
Pitch Servo
· Max Torque = 20%
· Servo Gain = 1.20
· Fine Adjust Amount = 1
· Fine Adjust Time = 0.20​

I could have used 15% torque but it felt too soft for me. The fine adjustment settings are also a personal preference. The AP was good without them.

This is definitely a case of "your mileage may vary".

My continued thanks and appreciation for the exceptional service and support from Garmin. They are a class act!

The test flight was uneventful and the weather was great - just a small wind at altitude. Upon returning to 53VG, I really stuck the landing - you'd think I caught the Number 2 wire on a carrier. Shortest landing I've had without some insane headwind.

Last edited: