lr172

Well Known Member
I will be upgrading my Sl-30 to a 430W. THe SL-30 has an internal splitter for the Nav antenna, but the 430 does not. The splitters seem expensive and I would prefer to make an antenna. Bob has suggested an antenna where both the core and shielding are preserved and cut to a specific length, but I don't understand how to lay them out. Others have suggested stripping the shield and grounding it

I currently have a marker beacon antenna in the cowl that I am not using and could re-purpose some or all of it. It has the core glassed in horizontally and the stripped shield is tied to the airframe. Can I cut this down to a specific length with use it with acceptable results?

I can also make a different coax-based antenna and tie it into the feed going through the firewall. This current has a BNC connector for cowl removal. I could f'glass this new antenna into the cowl below the other one.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to proceed.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks Gil. I did some more searching last night and found this:

"I spoke with Bob Archer today about his VOR wingtip antenna. The instruction drawing shows a 40" long piece of aluminum on the opposite side of the wing tip (on the top if the vor antenna is on the bottom) for a Marker Antenna. I asked him if this would work for the GS and he said no. He suggested this: in the opposite wing tip, place the coax parallel to the span. Strip the shield and fold it back over the coax. Trim the folded over shield to be 8" and tip to be 8" long. He suggested a little heat shrink over the stripped shield to prevent it fraying."

Bob Turner seemed to be suggesting a similar approach (1/4 wave) in a few other threads. I made one of these last night and will glass it in near the front of the cowl in a horizontal, side to side orientation. Won't have the 430 installed for a few weeks to test though.

Larry

Search archives for ...

GS antenna and Ironflight as poster, at the same time. Then look for his thread Antenna Musings .... Look at Posts #22 and #55.

Or, search for that thread directly.

Those two posts tell the story of what he did and of the great results that he got.

I did the same as he did with the stripped coax velcro'd to the front of my roll bar. Works great!

Best regards,

Merrill