N316RV

Well Known Member
Looking for critique of my panel layout. I have hidden all the structure / components behind the panel for clarity, but they are accounted for.

Configuration
1. Tip-up RV-9A
2. Current layout works around stock panel supports (one will be notched some)
3. Left EFIS is a Dynon 180, Right is a 100 (2nd set of gyros for redundancy)
4. GPS switch is to switch HSI input from 696 to 430
5. I can reach transponder form left seat. Also checked viewable angle on Garmin 327 and location will not cause a problem
6. Dynon?s are shallow enough to avoid interference with tipup re-enforcement
7. Battery back up in Dynon 180
8. Will use hand held radio for back up com
9. Already have map box installed (so don't suggest I move it) :)

Requirements
1. Wife is a pilot, so need EFIS viewable from right seat
2. IFR
3. Desire stock height panel and no subpanel to maximize entry / exit room

Thanks
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

Panel.jpg

Nice

Wow dude, you are turning left, and right at the same time:eek:

Seriously, looks pretty good.

Xpndr might be a bit of a reach for the pilot in solo flight.

Hi Alan,

I have a few suggestions.

1) Always try to keep things as symmetrical as possible..there are a lot of reasons to do so (too many to go into detail here), but trust me on that one. It's more important to keep the primary flight/navigation instruments in front of the pilot over things like the HS34 and SP74 (which you currently have placed almost front/center in front of the pilot, whilst the Dynon is pushed out of the pilots main viewing area), also keep things as high on the panel as possible (least transition for you eyes between outside and inside).
2) Work on the order of your switches a bit. Try to keep all of the power switching in one place - you've got the main battery/alternator switch down by the key switch and your essential switch up above the EFIS. Your starter switch is in the middle of a row of switches...it would be better to move that all the way over to the left before the toggles and by the key. Since your key switch is basically an anti-theft device (and isn't providing any switching to the mags or starter), perhaps moving it out of the line of your main switches and up to the left of the Dynon would free up some spce for more important switches down below.
3) Ditch the GPS source switch, the HS-34 does that for you.
4) Ditch the Intercom and get a audio panel. It doesn't cost much more, and since you've got lots of inputs including a NAV radio, and managing that through the intercom (while possible) is a pain and also not overly functional. You have XM music, voice alerts from the Dynon and GPS, 2 radio sources and an aux music input. Spend a few more bucks and get an audio panel.
5) Get rid of the map box. Since this appears to be a high end VFR panel, it's not likely you'll be carrying lots of charts around. The only thing glove boxes do anymore is collect "stuff" and take up valuable real estate. Put a pocket in the lower front side panels for your pencils, fuel tester and few pieces of paperwork and you'll be happier in the long run.

Take a look at the panel layout below....and notice the difference. Same basic equipment you have, just re-arranged for both form and function. From an ergonomic perspective, the less you have to move your hands and eyes around the cockpit the better off you'll be. It's just an idea! It's my 2 cents and just my opinion.

Cheers,
Stein

exampleRV9Adynons.jpg

I'm at about the same stage you are. I will likely use a different EFIS, but my panel layout looks a lot like the one Stein laid out for you. (Thanks for the affirmation, Stein.)

After I designed the panel, I printed a full size image of it. Then I taped it to my panel and put it in the plane. It's fun to sit in front of the panel and make airplane noises, but it also gives you an idea what it will be like to fly behind it.:rolleyes: After sitting behind it, I tweaked the placement a little and now I'm comfortable that I will like my panel when I'm done with it.

I agree that the main EFIS needs to be more in front of the pilot. The transponder will be heck to operate in flight. Too far to the right.

Hopefully the radio stack in Stein's rendition is not too far to the right.

Dude - you put your wife in charge of the radio???

:D

I agree with the above poster about ditching the map box and centering the EFIS units in front of the pilots - your Garmin EFB device is all you'll need if you get the subscription, and you can't drop it or have trouble reading it in the dark. Carry a printout of plates for your destination in case of power failure.

If you are still in the planning stages, you may wish to delay a bit for the advanced Dynons. Love my D-180, but it never hurts to have choices.

I'd keep the intercom and save $1500. You'll end up playing with resistors to get the other volumes right, but once you do you'll never need to fuss with it again. The Sigtronics is terrific. Or, buy MGL's SL-40 compatible radio as COMM #2 and save on noise-cancelling headphones due to their cool intercom (you could save the difference in price buy buying less expensive passive headsets, and end up with a second radio). That might be the better option.

Good luck, have fun, and fly safe!

I'd take Stein's design. Having the Dynons at different heights just makes it seem you shot gunned the panel where things would fit. Drop the glove box and put in a removable arm rest, they are very cool. Clean is better.

Great choice on avionics.

Good luck Alan.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Alan,

I agree with most of the comments. My panel is similar as I have a pilot wife also. Key thing is to put the Dynon immediately in front of you since that is what you are looking at most. With the TU, you can fairly easily move the support ribs behind the panel (just cut them off and add on a piece of angle and replace them wherever they fit best). With Stein's layout as drawn, you will have to do this (move ribs), and I suspect that there may not be quite enough space between the D180 and the HS74 and/or AP74 to get that rib installed. The space issue for mounting brackets behind the panel may bite you if you don't plan for it - make sure your final layout gives you sufficient mounting space for the requisite brackets, which are larger than the "face" of the instruments that you see on the front side of the panel.

Cheers,
greg

Thanks

To those who replied, thanks for the input. I will incorporate several of the comments.

Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL