rleffler

Well Known Member
Looking for a CFI (in the Phoenix Valley) with access to an aircraft for a high performance endorsement for my son. He’s a 1500+ hr military pilot/instructor, but needs to get the endorsement in his log book to enable him to be PIC and get insurance for my RV-10. Unfortunately, we can’t use my RV-10 due to open pilot restrictions on my insurance policy.

What about asking the insurance company to add a particular CFI as a named pilot?
Unfortunately, not an easy option to add just for a single flight. They would only add a CFI with RV-10 time and the odds that are that CFI would also meet the open pilot clause.

i just moved to the Phoenix valley area and am not familiar with all the schools in the area and their aircraft Or an independent CFI that might have a 182 or something similar.

the awkward part is that he has plenty of T-6 and jet time. He just doesn’t have the endorsement. There doesn’t appear to be a military equivalent that FAA would recognize.

Looking for a CFI (in the Phoenix Valley) with access to an aircraft for a high performance endorsement for my son. He’s a 1500+ hr military pilot/instructor, but needs to get the endorsement in his log book to enable him to be PIC and get insurance for my RV-10. Unfortunately, we can’t use my RV-10 due to open pilot restrictions on my insurance policy.
The one CFI I knew that could help has moved back to Alaska so I'm no help with a personal contact. I would suggest contacting Fly Eagle Sport in Glendale. They have Redbird sims which should satisfy the requirements per 14 CFR 61.31(f)(1)(i)(ii), which states:
The requirements to earn the High-Performance endorsement are:
(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a full flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

Last edited:
Be careful about using ‘open pilot’ clauses. Unless there is also an explicit ‘waiver of subrogation’ these clauses protect you, but not your son or CFI. e.g., should there be an accident the insurance company will pay you for your loss (hull value, liability if any) but they reserve the right to sue your son and/or cfi to recover what they paid. My policy even requires that I help them with any such lawsuit. That would be very uncomfortable for me.

Be careful about using ‘open pilot’ clauses. Unless there is also an explicit ‘waiver of subrogation’ these clauses protect you, but not your son or CFI. e.g., should there be an accident the insurance company will pay you for your loss (hull value, liability if any) but they reserve the right to sue your son and/or cfi to recover what they paid. My policy even requires that I help them with any such lawsuit. That would be very uncomfortable for me.
I’m well aware, which I why I mentioned the open pilot option isn’t a viable option in the original message. Fortunately, my son is a named pilot already. He just needs the endorsement to be legal amd meet the FAA’s requirements.

I’m well aware, which I why I mentioned the open pilot option isn’t a viable option in the original message. Fortunately, my son is a named pilot already. He just needs the endorsement to be legal amd meet the FAA’s requirements.
Started a conversation with you with local contact that might help.