steve murray

Well Known Member
I am looking for a basic aerobatic instruction book. Can anyone recommend a title. I am more interested in a basic "how to" and instructional book vs. a how to be a competitor book.

Any of Duane Cole?s books are good, but you still need to get at least a couple of lessons from a good aerobatic instructor. Reading the book isn?t as good as someone actually demonstrating how to do a perfectly symmetrical loop, otherwise you may end up practicing errors over and over again. Been there?done that with Duane Cole back in ?68.!

I second the book by Szurovy and Goulian. I REALLY like the way they outline what can go wrong in a maneuver and what to do about it. I think it goes a long way toward understanding what you're trying not to do and gives the fix should you botch it.

They break everything down nicely. At least I think I get it!:eek:

AEROBATICS by Neil Williams. One of the best aerobatic books out there. Very clear explanations of maneuvers. Don

Any of Duane Cole?s books are good, but you still need to get at least a couple of lessons from a good aerobatic instructor. Reading the book isn?t as good as someone actually demonstrating how to do a perfectly symmetrical loop, otherwise you may end up practicing errors over and over again. Been there?done that with Duane Cole back in ?68.!

I learned how to water ski by reading a book. Not great but I impressed the people that took me along on thier trip. I agree not as good as pro lessons but it was a lot of fun.

Don't do it. GET an QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR to teach you. Pilots still die trying to teach themselves aerobatics.

As an aerobatics intructor, I see little value in these books for other than pre-flight briefing before the lesson.

These books do however generate money for their authors, hence their existence.

Bob

Agree with getting instructions.

Hehe - I'm surprised someone hasn't offered up a copy of their old military instruction manuals...

Reading about it first is great...

I learned how to water ski by reading a book. Not great but I impressed the people that took me along on thier trip. I agree not as good as pro lessons but it was a lot of fun.

Okay, I'll bite... What was the water skiing book?

I'm a big believer in reading first... When I (sloppily) hovered a helicopter on my first lesson, surprising my instructor, I know it was because I read "Chickenhawk".:D

Hans

Yup I agree

No self teaching aerobatics...A good instructor will show how to screw up every manouver and how to get out of it..Gives you so much more confidence when you do an Immlemen and deleberatley get too slow and spin it inverted...

Actually...Its really cool!..:)

Frank