Tumper

Well Known Member
My daughter (senior in high school) has a school project in her engineering class to build a model aircraft. She would like to build a copy of my RV-9 (in progress). Does anyone know of a company that has RV model kits. The wooden Oshkosh model will not do. Or is there a model that is similar enough that she could make it look like an RV.

She has also agreed to paint it like my paint scheme. That would be awesome

A lot of the scoring comes from the complexity of the kit, however building it from scratch might be over the top.

Thanks for the help. :cool:

I built this for my father. It is a simple 1/8 scale balsa and plywood model. I used the three-view drawing as a guide and lofted the dimensions to a building board. I used as much sheet and block pieces of balsa as I could to keep things simple which led to a lot of carving and sanding.
When it was finished I packed it in my -9 and flew it to him in MD.

2lc09p5.jpg

Hey Dean,
Sorry can't help with the model but I did have to comment on the RV-9.
I thought you forgot the A on the end so I checked your build log and sure enough a tail dragger.
Congratulations, you are working toward an exclusive club. Looks like a slider even.

scale rv

It's probably over the top but pretty cool project for an engineering student.
How about taking dimensions or cad drawings and printing components on a 3d printer then assembling a scale model.

3D Printing

Thanks everyone for the post.

Larry, that is an interesting thought. I think their school just got a 3D printer. I?ll get her to look into it.

3D printing an RV

There was a delay in my daughter?s project till after the first of the year. I have yet to find an acceptable model of the RV-9 and the more we discuss the 3D printed model the more cooool it sounds.

As I mentioned earlier, her school has just acquired a 3D printer and I?ll bet the science teacher is chomping at the bit to try it out. I don?t know very much about 3D printing, but does anyone have a 3D file for the RV-9 or 7? What type file would it be? Is there a standard established for the 3D or CAD files?

Thanks for the help.

Gee, just a thought, but why a model? We have HS engineering classes building real RV-12s. Everyone seems to like doing that...

Bob

Solidworks

Hey Bob,

That was a great idea. I have spent some time with my daughter?s science teacher and he would like to get his pilot?s license someday. When I told him I was building and would be finished soon he wanted to bring the class out for my first test flight. I had to explain to him why that was not a good idea.

I thought it was interesting, the ?engineering? class she is taking has used the same Jeppesen book to study flying that I used for my private pilot?s license.

But on a practical side, my daughter is a senior so just has a few months left.

I would still love to print a model of the RV-7 or RV-9.