jwilbur

Well Known Member
Aerosport's had their rudder trim on the market for a while now. Anyone care to offer a report? Looks pretty easy to install and use. But I wonder if there's any potential of tangles or other hangups, etc, in the event of an extreme rudder event. In other words, let's say I'm uncoordinated in a stall test and slam my rudder to prevent a spin causing one of the rudder trim spring/lines to slacken very quickly. Can this happen and cause the rudder to get stuck?

Here's a link to their product with install video:
http://www.aerosportproducts.com/ruddertrim.htm

I have had it installed on my RV10 for several years. It works great, with the 10, once you get it set it usually stays there for the journey. An added benefit is that it dampens the rudder on windy days. I can't see how it could cause an issue with getting hung up. You really don't feel it when flying and more so than the Vans aileron trim. Another great product from them.....
IMG_2762.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a bit biased, since I help Geoff with his web site.

I've had the rudder trim installed in my RV-10 since it's first flight almost three years ago. I second Bill's comments.

I can't imagine how it would impede any maneuver. The springs can easily be over powered by your feet on the rudder pedals.

Depending on where you mount it, you do need to ensure that there are no other objects that will interfere, but that's just common sense.

Mine is mounted at the bottom of the center stack.

FP21042013A0005D.jpg

Thank you both for the report. My worry was not that the springs would be too strong to overpower but rather too weak to prevent a sag from slack in the line if you step hard and fast on one rudder pedal. But you're saying this is not an issue. That's good.

How hard would you say to install after the main panel? And do the horns which attach to the pedal tubes require any adjustment after initial install?

Trying to decide what can wait until after I start flying hopefully this Fall.

I have the same setup, only by a different manufacture, and it is working great without any issues

Thank you both for the report. My worry was not that the springs would be too strong to overpower but rather too weak to prevent a sag from slack in the line if you step hard and fast on one rudder pedal. But you're saying this is not an issue. That's good.

How hard would you say to install after the main panel? And do the horns which attach to the pedal tubes require any adjustment after initial install?

Trying to decide what can wait until after I start flying hopefully this Fall.

They're a thirty minute install. It's just a preference on how you like to work. If your panel is off, you can install them sitting in the seat. After you are flying you have to become a contortionist working under the panel.

When you install the springs, you'll extend the spring about 1-2". This should keep tension on both lines at all times.

I made some adjustments to mine during my conditional this year. I had to take the stick and seat out so that I could fit under the panel. It took me longer to get the stick and seat out than it did moving the rudder trim arms.