AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

My wife and me are looking for a hotel near Oshkosh (no more than one hour driving). We will be arriving to Chicago O'hare on Sunday afternoon and will get a car to drive to Osh.

I know I know I should plan on advance:( but due to work I wasn't able, we really don't know that we may go till today.

Any advice will be good, also I thought to rent a motorhome and stay at camp at Oshkosh.

PD: this is going to be our first time at Osh we are very exited:D

Green Bay

You want want to try Green Bay, WI
That were my wife and I stayed when we went one year. I don't think you'll find anything any closer.

Once upon a time back in the mid-eightys we went to Oshkosh without any reservations. We found a place in Appleton called "Bloomer's". I DON'T recommend it.

1/ You had to get up and check-in every 2 hours.

2/ When we called a cab to go to the airport, he asked where we were, and then asked if we could meet him around the corner.

3/ The air conditioner was not blowing air. I removed and cleaned the filter (which obviously hadn't been cleaned since installation). I put a piece of paper back in the filter with my phone number and said call me collect the next time the filter is cleaned. I'm still waiting for that call.

Try Wautoma, 30 miles due west of Oshkosh on highway 21, a very easy drive to KOSH. There are 3 hotels there: the Super 8, the AmericInn, and the Silvercryst.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=03761&cid=IP_Local

http://www.americinn.com/hotels/WI/Wautoma

http://www.silvercryst.com/

The online room search for the Super 8 and the AmericInn show to have rooms still available.

You'll have to phone the Silvercryst, they don't have an online room availability search on their website.

I'm staying at the AmericInn.

Back in 1988, I was in the same boat. I used the EAA Housing Hotline and found a room in someone's house about 20-minutes away. It was a good experience. We even traded Christmas cards a few years in a row.

I stayed at..

...the Microtel at the south end of Green Bay.

The shuttle bus stop was two blocks away at the bowling alley. I thought the shuttle bus was a better deal than a rental car. Good drop-off location at KOSH - no waiting in a long line to get into the parking lot.

LlarryT

Great breakfast and easy bus ride to the airport....

The University Black Hawk campus in down town OSH has lots of dorm rooms for rent and while they are booked solid each year, I've dropped in without a reservation and have always gotten a room.

Country Inn Appleton

We stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Appleton just off Hiway 41. They aren't listed on the AirVenture housing website so they aren't directing people there. All the FAA folks stay there. It's about 20 minutes to OSH. Free breakfast. If you end up there, look me up.

Colleges

Unless you're set on a hotel, you can usually get a dorm room fairly easily without a reservation. There are a number of colleges around that have rooms available. The only downside is that without a reservation you may not get one with air conditioning. I think the EAA website has the list of colleges that rent rooms. My guess is you can find a dorm room that is much closer to the airport than any hotel you'll find this late in the game. Good luck, and enjoy!

UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN OSHKOSH EAA HOUSING REGISTRATION 920-424-3226.

Good location. Bus service right to EAA front gate. Food on site. TV, computers etc. Oh also........ ice cream free!

Last edited:
Orbitz.com

I never plan well ahead for Oshkosh. We are not going this year but following my usual practice I just went to www.orbitz.com put in an arrival today and departure 7-31-11 and found that for Oshkosh, WI they have three hotels/motels available, LaQuinta Inn & suites 17.5 miles from the center of Oshkosh, Holiday Inn Neenah 12.5 miles ... and AmericInn New London 29.1 miles. You can search other surrounding cities as well. It has always worked for me.

Bob Axsom

AmericInn in New London 29.1 miles north west has been good to me in the past. go for it. wish i was there. great place to be in the summer.

Basement for rent @ AirVenture

My plans fell through but this may work for someone else.

Steve Lieb is a retired teacher from a local University. He has a furnished basement for rent. It is $70.00 per person, per night. I haven?t met him but he was more than accommodating for my travel plans. He was going to help with transportation, folding chairs, umbrellas and such so I didn?t have to overload my RV-4. If you are still looking, give him a call @ 920-203-0740. Next year for me?