danielhv

Well Known Member
Ok, do this... Get a hammer, put your thumb on some concrete, and then hit it with the hammer hard enough to make it bust the skin on the side of your thumb... then go cleco platenuts... Sucks! I was setting anchors for my wing stand today and did just that. It hurt so bad I almost got sick from the pain! :confused: Never had that happen before. About an hour later it quit hurting enough to clean it and wrap it in gauze... but it has DEFINATELY slowed me down. :mad: :(

ouch.JPG

ouch - sorry you got hurt daniel... I borrowed a friends plug-in hammer drill and just drilled some holes in the concrete and put in those blue tapcon bolts. They came out easily later on. No hammer needed... just use the special bit that they sell.

ouch - sorry you got hurt daniel... I borrowed a friends plug-in hammer drill and just drilled some holes in the concrete and put in those blue tapcon bolts. They came out easily later on. No hammer needed... just use the special bit that they sell.

Yea, I used a hammer drill to drill the holes... The anchors I used drop into the hole, and require a few hits with a hammer on a pin inserted to set the anchor. That way when I'm done there is no stud to cut or anything... Just unbolt the stand, and fill the hole.

I have a cure that works everytime! All you have to do is take the hammer and hit the right thumb harder. You'll soon forget about left one. ;)

Always remember, the "N" on the side of the Nebraska football team stand for "Knowledge". ;)

Last edited:
Join the club

It had to happen sometime. You are now a full fledged member of the "Oh s... I can't believe I just did that club."

Here's the next one that will leave a bruise....You will catch your skin between the handles on a blind riveter. Truly a nasty pinch.

Now's the excuse to go by a pneumatic clecoer.......but honey, I really neeeeeed it now....look at this thumb..it hurts so badly! And it's my holding hand too.

It looks like you're getting the countersinks done!

hat

Oh stop whining, you big wus and turn your hat around. Now, go finish the nutplates. Then grab those ribs behind you and start deburring. And hey, whats in that cool lucking silver case on the top shelf?

It had to happen sometime. You are now a full fledged member of the "Oh s... I can't believe I just did that club."

As a member of the Royal Family in the aforementioned club, I can say with pretty good confidence that I feel your pain! It'll hurt like heck for awhile, but at least it's likely to be there.....and you didn't have to pick it up and take it to the hospital only to have them tell you they'll have to dispose of it because it's "biomedical waste" - not something you normally think of your body parts being!!

Anyway, I cringed when I read about your incident, but don't feel too dumb - you're still a rank amateur when it comes to stupid things.....it takes a real idiot to shove your hand into a running prop! :)

Just make sure you wipe any blood off of the aluminum - it's corrosive!

Cheers,
Stein

Futaba all the way!!!!! Friends don't let friends fly JR!!!!

Team Futaba and Proud

Pay no attention to this guy--------he flys a helicopter:eek:

You know, wings move faster than the rest of the aircraft. Defiantly not normal.

Shop lights...

Daniel,

Did you put up extra shop lights in your garage, or were they already there?

As for my wing jig, it was wedged between the ceiling and the floor, not anchored at the bottom. I live in a rented townhouse, so drilling the garage floor was not an option. It has been over five years since I put up the wing jig posts and secured them to the boards above that attached to the trusses in the garage ceiling. Steel angle straps secure the dual 2x4 boards at each end of the jig to the 3/4" board that takes the upward load against the ceiling. Yes I said upward load. I cut the posts about 1/8" too long to fit between the 2x4 on the floor and the board at the ceiling. I marked the outside of the boards on the floor with a RED marking pen to be sure that nothing would move without me knowing about it. The jig never moved during the whole time the wings were underconstruction.
DSCF0047.jpg

The photo above is on PAGE 3 ( http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a003.htm ) of my web site, which now has many hundreds of pages about building and FLYING my airplane for more than three years now. The site also has the story of my friend building his RV-8 and flying his Cessna 182 to Alaska to deliver it to the guy that bought it. He had to make room in the hangar for the RV-8