mpm2433

I am actively looking for a -4 in or close to Texas. There are about 4-5 listed on Barnstormers ranging from 33k to 58k. Ironically, the two highest priced both have damage history, including engine, prop, and air frame damage.

What is a 4 worth in this market? What effect does damage history have on a RV4? I am not an RV expert and find it difficult to call someone up and offer 10k less than the asking price without some support for my offer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Mitchell
Katy, Texas KTME
B55 Baron

I don't follow that market all that closely but the range sounds about right.

As for damage history without seeing the plane and knowing what was damaged and what was done to repair it it is hard to assess what effect, if any, it should have on the price.

My suggestion would be to have an RV-4 builder look at anything before you made an offer. Make sure it is a builder and not just an owner. The early RVs were much more fabricated by the builder and did not have pre-punched parts for the most part and therefore are more "individual" in how they go together. Alignment, etc was more dependent on the builder than the later kits.

Having said all that the -4 is a wonderful airplane and still the most numerous tandem RV flying I believe.

I have an RV-4 I built starting in 1998 and have the dubious distinction of having rebuilt it after a major incident ("that's a fancy way of sayin' crash, son") so I know a little bit about how they go together. I'm not an expert builder but a competent one and would be happy to look at anything in the DFW area. My -4 is down at the moment for some upgrades so I can't travel far.

There are a lot of -4s and therefore a lot of -4 builders so you shouldn't have any problem finding help.

This advice, freely given, is worth whatever value you ascribe to it. For myself, I don't think its all that profound, original, or entertaining so I wouldn't charge for it, even if asked to.

Richard Bibb
N144KT

Range ok

Seems like the right range to me. I don't think you should pay more than $60k except for the best of the -4's out there. Of course if someone put big bucks into an IFR panel then they will want to get some of that back and the price can escalate.

If you pick something up for less than $35k you are probably buying yourself a project.

Constant speed prop usually adds ~$5k or more for otherwise similar -4s.

Just my thoughts based on my search for a -4 two years ago, and factoring in the market decline over the last few months.

RV4

My RV4 is still For Sale
You need to make a real offer.
I am not stuck on $49500. I can build you one to your spects
I build RV's and can add / modify / change any thing that you need. On this one.

Jay's RV

Thanks Jay,

I love your plane. I have received lots of PM's with very helpful information, leads, and suggestions.

Thanks to all that have responded