shimuneka

I am looking at buying an rv 6a project that has been started, in all honesty, mostly completed by the previous owner. It is a good deal and I thought it could save me a TON of money. I have no building experience whatsoever, but I do have several close relatives who are interested in helping with the project. I Am hoping to get some help as to what to look for. My local EAA chapter said to make sure it is "square", but I have no idea how to tell. I just don't want to buy a project that is going to be a basket case.

additional info

For what it's worth, the fuselage is pretty much complete, the wings are complete, except for the top. They left the top clecoed so that it can be inspected. Empennage is done, wings were installed in the sparbox to drill main gear leg mounts. Said that it was a snug fit and they had no problems using close tolerance bolts.

What I woudl do is to find an experienced builder and Tech Counselor to have a look at the project. Your concern about not buying a basket case is valid - and if you don't have the backgroudn to judge the build quality, there are lots of folks who can. ASk the local EAA Chapter if they have a Tech Counselor - if not, ask here to see who might be close to you to check it out. Take your time to do the due diligence, and you coudl have a nice project.

I went this route and involved an experienced Tech Counselor early in the process. Build quality and all alinements of built components were thoroughly checked.

It worked great for me and did save mucho bucks. Highly recommended if done right!!

Yep

Dan Horton comes to mind....probably as good an inspector as anyone you'll find, plus, he's in Alabama.

Best,