jscottpilot

I am at the point of twisting and opening the longerons. The instructions suggest using a digital level for doing this. I live in a small town and dont have a way to borrow a digital level and don't want to spend 200 bucks to buy one. Does anyone have a technique to measure the twist and opening of the longerons that will work in the absence of a digital level or protractor. I did a search of the forums and could not find alot about longeron manipulation.

Amazon.com has them for $99. I think I seen them once for $90 somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...16-0412917?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1186112009&sr=8-3

Otherwise just keep test fitting the pc until it fits. Smart levels rule, sometimes. You really should buy one.

I do prefer a bubble level where possible (much more precise) but when you get to setting the wing incidence of the 804 c-section, you really need the smart level. Plus its great for checking the elevs., ails, flaps and a few other things.

Ahh. Those lower longerons are a PITA! A digital level really helps.

In the absense of that, you can back out the angles by using trig. Make sure your reference point is level. Then figure out how much rise or drop you need in one plane using trig. At that point, set your level on the high point of your angle and measure to the low point of your angle. Keep adjusting the angle until you reach the correct dimension.

If you would like help with the math, etc. PM me. I'll send you my phone number.

Cheers,
Guy

Completed last week

It took 2 people but we bent and installed the upper longerons last week without a digital level. I have the pre-punched kit and the measurments are included on the drawing.

Just go slow and keep checking your measurments and fit.

Paul

thanks for all the advice

I bent the lower longerons using an analog level. I put them in place and they were very close.

I received a new harbor freight catalog and they had a new products section that included a digital readout level. I have found that harbor freight tools dont stand up to hard use but they seem to work well for those less used tools. I honestly dont think I need this level now but ordered it anyway. The upper longerons seems to be more straightforward in the bends. Anyway thanks for the help.