Kyleag04

After a couple of nights of carefully measuring, marking, trimming, and bending the longerons on my -7, I realized that I made a horrible mistake. Per the plans, I had trimmed the aft ends of the longerons to clear the rear bulkhead and the vertical empennage attach bars. I then clamped the two longerons together and bent them together. I have to say, I did a beautiful job bending them to match the template exactly.

BUT, THEN I REALIZED MY MISTAKE...

Instead of bending the longerons inward, I bent them downward!! ARG!!!! I checked my measurements 3 times, I trimmed everything perfectly, and I bent the longerons beautifully...in the wrong direction!

Ok, so I briefly thought about cutting the last 12 inches off of the longerons, rotating the longerons 90 degrees and designing a splice to tie them back together. But this is my new airplane that I will be carrying my family in. There will be no splices in my longerons.

Ok, tomorrow I will call Van's and see how much shipping will be for two new longerons...ouch. We have a ton of aluminum angle at work, but of course none is 3/4 x 3/4 x .125.

Now, I have to ask for help from the VAF community. Is there anyone in the DFW/North Texas/Southern Oklahoma area that has any leftover longerons from their project? Anybody know a source of 3/4 x 3/4 x .125 aluminum angle in the area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Google!

Just google

Aluminum Angle 6061 and your state.

When you order make sure you get the same temper as what vans originally supplied.

You should be able to find something closer to your location.

Best wishes!

Should be rather easy to get in TX

I agree with your decision to replace rather then repair.

Since these parts are very long it will cost a lot to ship to you. But don't despair, there is a simple solution. Contact local machine shops in your area and see if they can order some from their suppliers. Typically these shops get shipments of aluminum weekly and the freight cost might be absorbed in their other shipments since the 18 wheeler was going to their shop anyway.

I hope this helps,

Aluminum

I would expect that you have a specialty metals warehouse in your region. Start there. Here in the midwest, Ryerson and Jorgenson are a couple that come to mind. Make sure you get the correct alloy and ask for mill certs. I think most of the warehouses would sell direct.

Let us know what you find.

Also, be sure the inside corner...

...of your extruded aluminum angel has the proper radius, and does not form as a 90*angle.

Kyle,
I think I have two, I will be back in DFW on the 10th if you can wait a week I'll be happy to verify and let you know.

...of your extruded aluminum angel has the proper radius, and does not form as a 90*angle.

You want structural 6061-T6 aluminum. This has the radius that Noel correctly mentions. This is much stronger.
The angle with a sharp 90 degree corner is referred to as architectural aluminum angle. By using the correct terminology, the guy you talk to at the metal suppler will think you actually know what you are talking about. ;)
Charlie Kuss