wintaki

Hi, this may be a stupid question but I was having a discussion with a friend and the following question came up.

With all the talk of 100LL exemption expiring soon, and no new news on it being extended (that I am aware of), do you think it is smart to sink $40k in a new IO-540? I want to build an RV10 but I wonder in a few years, will I have to spend a large chunk of change for a new different engine that burns something else? Would mogas work in a 540?

I doubt they will just remove 100LL completely but you never know. In any case, something better is needed anyway with the limited production of it and the relatively (and absolute!) high cost of it compared to other fuel.

Thanks for any comments.

Just remember....

......that an O-540 is an 0-360 with two more of the same cylinders and pistons, 90 cu. in each,

Regards,

There is also a low compression version of the 0-540 that produces 235 hp.

If you are worried about detonation margin on mogas with the high compression engine, you can buy the low compression version now, or simply change out the pistons to the low compression units later if things come to that...

Yep.....

.....and we ran them in Pawnees in the early '70's on lotsa mogas. We'd work off a road and taxi to the gas pumps. Back then we had Amoco "white" gas. Some of those engines went nearly 3000 before overhaul too.

Regards,

I know this is an old post....but it's nice to know the IO 540 can run on MOGAS. This is great news for me.

Wish I could hook up a diesel engine up front and run my biodiesel through it, then my fuel costs would be almost nothing.

The Lycoming reps at their Airventure 2009 engine assembly forum stated that my IO-540 V4A5 would run just fine on premium auto fuel. He recommended using ethanol free if possible.