Jaknjoan

Well Known Member
I have a friend in Western Australia who has built an RV-10 for another individual. The aircraft has been flying for over one year. The builder called me to check if I had heard of any -10s that I was aware of that had been fitted or retrofitted with longer range tanks. He is looking for an additional equivalent of 25-30 US gallons.

The owner of this aircraft has business interests in Albany, W. A. and Kununurra, W.A with fuel stops being limited in certain areas.

Any information regarding adding additional fuel capacity, whether adding additional wet wing area on the leading edge or tips will be appreciated.

The builder is not too handy in the use of the internet therefore asked me to assist him in his research.

Jake Thiessen
Flying RV-9A

POD?

I was thinking about building additional wing tanks for about 30 more gallons, but then someone was talking about building a POD for a -10 a few weeks back, and I thought that maybe if I could somehow build an external tank in a POD that could be attached only when needed. I realize that there are things to be considered, like heat from the exhaust, and a way to pump the fuel from the external tank to the main tanks. But, I think that for occasional use, an external tank could be a pretty good solution. Any ideas on this?

I've also been thinking about extending the fuel capacity, for the day when I can finally order a kit...

A friend of mine who built an RV-7A said it's possible, when slo-building the wings, to add bays to the fuel tank. Has anyone done anything like that?

The detachable pod idea sounds interesting, albeit complex.

It'd be nice to get enough fuel on-board to make it to Tucson from Chicago without requiring a fuel stop (other stops, of a more natural order, would be required, of course). ;)

Additional Fuel

Try this link

http://www.n523rv.com/

Matthew Brandes has a great write up on how he added additional fuel capacity by expanding the stock tanks on his RV 9A. I think his whole leading edge is now a fuel tank. At any rate...he's got a great site to check out.

Plus...the first rivet I ever drove was done under his supervision on one of his wings a few years back! :D

Scott
(still dreaming)