E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Just wondering if there are any kind of 'theft protection' devices available for aircraft? Surely, the technology is out there and I see this as a business opportunity for someone or some company to develop a good business. The Lojak devise is installed on a car and when activated, transmits a signal that law enforcement can pick up, trace the location of the stolen car, and then recover it. I think that this service is now available for computer owners, etc. Anyone know if this is being done for airplanes?

Lojack

Never heard of anything like that for airplanes, but to clarify on the Lojack product, it only works in an area where the police are equiped with the tracking system. Most smaller departments cannot afford the equipment...

why?

There are products, I think one is called boomerang that are gps devices. The technology is easily available, but really? When was the last time anyone stole a homebuilt airplane? Not saying it cant happen but...with all the 9/11 stuff...would think a crook with a ppl would not be thinking that is the easiest target.

I would not like to loose mine, but the wife might think the big insurance check was kind of nice. :D

I would think a discrete APRS installation would probably get the job done.

I agree 100%.

However, who in their right mind would steal an Experimental? You are more likely to have your radios stolen than the entire plane. Most thieves are cowards and wouldn't risk their life in a homebuilt. IMHO

Avionics Theft

6 years ago I unlocked my T-hangar on a sunny Saturday morning at St. Mary's Airport, MD (2W6) to fly my plans built BD-4.

Completed a preflight, rolled the plane out of the hangar, started to strap in when I finally noticed every instrument and all avoinics had been removed from my panel (full IFR, 2 radios, ILS/VOR, GPS, Auto Pilot...). The thieves neatly laid all the wiring harnesses through the panel hole in an effort to show me nothing was damaged...how nice.

Whoever did this was really comfortable and had access to the airport and hangar and took their time which was probably measured in hours.

After I reinstalled new avioncs I bought a low end VIPER car alarm and wired door switches and a motion detector in the cockpit as well as the alarm horn in the baggage area. I wired a flashing red LED in both pilot and copilot doors with an alarm warning placard.

PS. Obviously my preflight sucked

...I finally noticed every instrument and all avoinics had been removed from my panel...
I had anti-theft markings on the more expensive bits of the first iteration of my -4 panel to prevent this...They had "Microair" painted on the faceplates ;)

After I reinstalled new avioncs I bought a low end VIPER car alarm and wired door switches and a motion detector in the cockpit as well as the alarm horn in the baggage area. I wired a flashing red LED in both pilot and copilot doors with an alarm warning placard.

PS. Obviously my preflight sucked[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the lose.
Last time I was in a BD-4 (twice to OSH), the door blew open
on landing. If he would have had the above system it sure
would have woken us up a bit. Thats what happens when
you cram a 6'4" 230# guy in there. Sure was fun though.
Lost the map and had to go recovery it. :eek:

Last edited: