Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
What constitutes complete engine logs when an engine is rebuilt, removed from a certified plane some hours later, and then installed in a new experimental with experimental accessories?

More detail:
I'm in the process of purchasing a flying RV-10. My bank wants to know if the engine logs are complete. The engine is ~450 SMOH it was removed running from an Apache and installed in a new RV-10 160 hours ago. The engine logs predate the last two rebuilds by decades, but did not appear go back the full 2400 hour history of the engine. The first rebuild was at TBO and the cases (and cylinders) were replaced. It was rebuilt again 10 months and 200 hours later due to a prop strike. New crank, cylinders, and accessories at that time. Airflow Performance Fuel Injection was installed during the RV-10 installation, so it's definitely not a certified engine anymore.

Thanks in advance,
Guy

Technically, the only way to restart logs is with a factory rebuilt, which "zero times" the engine. Any other overhaul, even a factory overhaul, should keep the old logs. However, I know a lot of people consider the logs complete if they have everything since an overhaul by a certified shop. When I look at log books, I am usually happy with knowing everything that has happened since it came out of a shop like Barrett, Penn Yan, Lycon, Mattituck, Zephyr, etc. If it is a field overhaul, then I like to know details of what was replaced, what was recertified/yellow tagged and by whom, and things like that.

If your logs go back through 2 overhauls, then I personally would be satisfied, but they are technically incomplete.

i have never heard of an insurance company ask for this info. can you pass along the company? if it doesn't work out keep shopping. ;)

i have never heard of an insurance company ask for this info. can you pass along the company? if it doesn't work out keep shopping. ;)

Turbo,

Not the insurance company, the bank. I'm not sure how much they care, but they do ask. I'm satisfied with the logs. I just want to answer honestly without creating any more hoops to jump through than necessary.