MacPara

Well Known Member
This question is mainly directed at Mel and other DARs that might be reading this but I thought this to be interesting to others as well, so I decided to post it.
The way to prove compliance with a Service Bulletin is certainly to log the task in the aircraft logs. This is very understandable once the airplane is flying as this is the only way to keep track of things.
Now how about SBs that are released while you are still building, before certification? Some of the SBs apply, some don't, depending on the date you bought your kit parts. Are we still supposed to log every SB and show compliance if they applied to the project?
My guess is yes, but I'd like to hear what others have been doing and what a DAR thinks about it.

I log them all and mark the not applicable SBs with "NA". That way there is never any question as to whether I saw them.

I log them all and mark the not applicable SBs with "NA". That way there is never any question as to whether I saw them.
Same here. These questions may or may not come up with your DAR, but they will almost certainly come up if/when you sell the plane.

Same here too. The most recent one for the replacement throttle linkage nuts says to make an entry in the log book, but as one of the jobs this weekend is to install the throttle cable, I'll just amend the plans and make a note on the SB that I've done it, with the date.

All service bulletins should be logged.

If the SB doesn't apply to your aircraft, be sure to state why.
Example: "SB-20455 N/A because of serial number."

But how do you really know ....

I suppose this is obvious but how do I know that I have seen every SB that might apply to the engine, airframe, or avionics ? :confused: It seems like in the experimental world, there are SBs and then there are SBs and maybe some ADs that might apply?

What is the best way to do a complete SB/AD search for a given engine/airframe/prop combination?

And the reverse would also be true.... if I was buying one, how would I personally validate/find all of the SBs or ADs that might apply ?

Thanks Bill

All service bulletins should be logged.

If the SB doesn't apply to your aircraft, be sure to state why.
Example: "SB-20455 N/A because of serial number."

Mel, I can see the need to log all SB's after certification when it's an aircraft.

But before certification when it's still a project, is it sufficient to just correct the plans and/or cross reference them to the SB's as required, and keep a copy of the SB's with the build documentation? I guess the question is, when do the various logs start? After certification or during the build?

The preference would be to have them in the aircraft logbook.
After certification, you are not required to keep the builder's log or plans.
The aircraft logbook will remain with the aircraft forever.

Is there preferred wording in the log when you do comply? What would the entry look like? Thanks.