My DAR mentioned that I should log each Phase 1 test flights in the airframe log book. What have you guys done about logging these test flights? I have a flight test program which has all the information documented in it. I think hand writing each flight in the airframe log book would be over kill. I didn't see any mention of this loggin requirement in the advisory circular or in the aircraft paper work. Thanks in advance for any advise you might have.

I didn't do this, which doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I had a test plan and kept that as a log of what had been done (I think I got it here on VAF). The only entry in the airframe log itself was the verbage for ending the Phase 1 and for certifying the demonstrated aerobatics, as I recall.

I recorded details of Phase 1 flights and beyond in my "Build Log" which I keep with and as part of the Airframe Log. The build log is a couple of hard backed school note books full of dated sketches and notes detailing the build. I recorded as-is but otherwise undefined or modified detail dimensions, adhesive lot data, wiring details, flight test data, etc, etc. It might not be super neat but together with the Build Manual, Drawings, loads of pictures and Installed Part Manuals it forms a comprehensive definition of my aircraft.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

I keep an aircraft flight/operations log in the plane

I keep an aircraft flight/operations log in the plane and that is the only place I logged the flights other than my pilot log book. I used the format of the pages used when my Archer was on lease back to The Flying Club for recording all flights, oil additions/changes and squawks. I have two other sections for detail (1) routine squawks & resolution and (2) time related items like ELT batteries, static system & encoder checks. All of this is kept in a three ring binder with notebook dividers for each section. Your airframe log is a limited space document and it seems unwise to load it up with flight information.

Bob Axsom

I purchased an aircraft built by other and he had only Phase two logged in the Log books....

FYI; If you are planning in getting your aircraft certified for unusual attitudes, I suggest the following entry in your log book after you have talked to your DAR first and after your Phase 2 flight period. Only make the entry after you have confirmed it will do them

I CERTIFY THAT THE PRESCRIBED FLIGHT TEST HOURS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND THAT THE AIRCRAFT IS CONTROLLABLE THROUGH ITS RANGE OF SPEED AND THROUGHOUT ALL MANUVERS TO BE EXECUTED INCLUDING ALL FAI 1-9 AEROBATIC MANUEVERS AND THE AIRCRAFT HAS NO HAZARDOUS OPERATING CHARACTERISTIC OR DESIGNS FEATURES AND IS SAFE FOR OPERATION. STALL 1g @ .......KIAS, Vx @ ......KIAS, Vy @ ..........KIAS ..........WEIGHT AND......... % of CG

Actually, I had to specify the maneuvers in my program letter, so they could be part of my aircraft's Airworthiness Certification. The maneuvers were flown off at the end of Phase 1, though I suppose they could have been done afterward. The verbage I was given for the airframe log entry specified each maneuver by name rather than as a group.

I didn't think I should log each test flight in the airframe log book, all of that information would have filled up many pages. I only have 2 more flight hours to go to complete the 40hrs of phase 1 testing. Its been uneventful until yesterday when I hit a small bird out between the landing light and the right wing tip at about 150 kts. It dented the leading edge which I think can be repaired. After 36 years of flying and many close calls with birds I have to hit one with my brand new RV-7. It was painful to put a ding in the plane after all the hard work the past 7 1/2 years to get it finished. It could have been worse, it could have hit the canopy. I don't want to build one of those again. Thanks again for the information.

As the purchaser of a second-hand RV, my perspective is that good logs can make or break a sale. An airframe log is an inexpensive way to document construction and testing in a manner acceptable to the FAA. It may not be as thorough as a complete builder's log; but when the airplane changes hands a third, forth, fifth time, etc., the basic airframe/engine logs may be all that follow it. A complete set of engine logs back to factory inception (especially if the engine had a previous life) will also help. This combination of airframe and engine logs that accomodate the complete life of the airframe and engine (and include current, accurate weight and balance data) are something that a buyer down the road will appreciate.

Cheers,

Vac

Actually, I had to specify the maneuvers in my program letter, so they could be part of my aircraft's Airworthiness Certification. The maneuvers were flown off at the end of Phase 1, though I suppose they could have been done afterward. The verbage I was given for the airframe log entry specified each maneuver by name rather than as a group.

Great! you are half way there! glad you had this done...Different DAR;s different req's ..... problably mine had the family group listed since it is designed purposelly as an unlimited aerobatic aircraft. However, the point I was trying to convey is that it is very important to have this in your Operational Limitations otherwise you will be subject to S&L flights only!.

I agree, Mitch. The point I was making was the log entry is not enough. As you mention, it has to be in the OL and the way to get it in the OL is to put it in your program letter. Yes, different DARs/different details in the wording. Also, I think the demonstrated maneuvers have to be done in Phase I (Mel or another DAR confirm or correct me here).

I agree, Mitch. The point I was making was the log entry is not enough. As you mention, it has to be in the OL and the way to get it in the OL is to put it in your program letter. Yes, different DARs/different details in the wording. Also, I think the demonstrated maneuvers have to be done in Phase I (Mel or another DAR confirm or correct me here).

Yes...but the program letter specified an entry in the log book...

I dont know if it will help or not...but my aircraft came out of AZ and the DAR that signed the SAWC in 1998 was Thomas F. Blatz. He is the one who typed and signed the Stnd. Operating Limitations to the Feds.....