prkaye

Well Known Member
What have others done by way of logging teh EMS data from a dynon for test flights? I think there is a way to hook up a laptop via serial cable, but not sure. I thought of trying to rig-up a mount for a video camera pointed at the dynon. Or, I could just keep an eye on the values and make a mental note of any strange readings. I could carry a small digital audio recorder and make oral notes of the readings.
What have others done?

Your in luck, all you need to do is:

Turn on the internal logging! I use the 3 second poll rate. You can run that faster or slower. Faster you go, the less it will record without overwritting the oldest data.

Works better than great!!!!

Once you are done with your flight, download the data and use Excel to manipulate it all you want.

PS: Prior to your first flight, go into the logging menu and delete the old data that it has been storing every time you turn on the EMS for testing. No reason keeping a bunch of data that is meaningless.

Also the EFIS logs as well....Flight data!!!

You can hook up your PC and get live data....You will need software on your PC to capture the data.....This is more difficult than using the built in logger.

Last edited:
I used a low cost...

...SONY solid state IC recorder (ICD-BX700). I plug in a small external mic to the unit, and stuff the mic into one of my headset earpieces. This way I get some engine sounds, all radio traffic, and all of my intercom ramblings recorded. I verbally record all my flight instruments and engine instrumentation readings for later analysis and make my comments on what I think needs attention.

My particular setup is Dynon 10A EFIS and AFS engine monitor.

My primary justification for the recorder was to record time hacks for my Vx and Vy altitude transitions / post flight analysis. Works OK for me...

There is a Data Logging section in the User Manual that describes configuration and usage. You can view/download the current manuals from the Dynon Web site.

Dynon logging on either the EMS or EFIS will hold a LOT of data. I think I had 15 hours of data (at a 5-second acquisition rate) before it started overwriting.

greg