PaulR

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I'm getting close to inspection and have a log book question. Is there any reason for a fixed pitch airplane to have a separate log book for the prop? I've owned a Cherokee and it had only airframe and engine log books and all the Cessna singles that I've seen with fp props only had these two books also.
The prop info was put in the airframe book in the case of my Cherokee. Does that make sense?

Thanks

I do have a separate log book for my FP prop on the Bucker. I guess you could combine them with your Airframe log as long as serial#, services like balancing, painting etc... where documented, but what happens if the prop ever gets separated from that airframe like in a prop upgrade?
Anyway, a prop log book is only a few bucks. I would keep one.

My -7A is fixed pitch and I do NOT have a propeller logbook. If I need to log something for the prop, it'll go in the engine logbook.

If you think you will ever sell the prop for any reason, a separate log is a good thing. Very easy to do, as well.

The thinking has altered since the Pipers and Cessnas you mention were made -

From a trusted Grumman source --

The FAA wants a log book for each "Class 1 Appliance". Class 1 Appliances are those components that have a Type Certificate, such as the Airframe, the Engine, and the Prop(s) or rotor system. In the past it was common to include the prop in the Airframe logs, but more recent thinking in Washington suggests we have a separate prop log. So if someone hasn't already purchased a prop log and begun tracking the prop separately, now would be a good time to obtain one and add it to your maintenance records at the next inspection.

The above does apply to certified planes though, but seems a good practise to follow anyway...:)

As stated before, like so many other things, it's not a requirement, but a good idea.