wirejock

Well Known Member
I have a really stupid question.
I already have several books. Builder log. Manual. Service Bulletins and letters.

At what point does the builder start the Airframe and Engine log books.
What format are they?
Do you buy one blank and start filling it in from the day of the DAR inspection?
Or is it a continuation of the builder log somehow?

Like I said, stupid question.

I imagine you can do it in a number of ways, but I always start an airframe and engine (& usually a propeller as well) logbook upon the DAR inspection and make entries going forward as if it were a certified plane.

I found them.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/flight_training/bv/menus/bv/books_log.html

Next question.
Would the DAR make the first entry?
Should you have an avionics logbook in additon to Airframe, Engine and Propeller?

The Builder will need to fill in the info about the aircraft and will need to make the first entry. The first entry by the builder is the same entry that is made for a "Condition Inspection" except that the title is Builder or Owner / Builder.

Entry should be:
?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.? Sign by person doing and list title. If A&P or Repairman, then add number.

Yes and no. You can have the books there and blank when the DAR gets there. They will often have you write in a condition inspection sign off entry and then they will put in their A/W entry. I don't think I've ever had one worry about engine or prop books, just airframe. I would use the others as well, anyway. Get the hard cover books for better durability and more professional feel.

Previous posts have described the industry standard. Strictly speaking, the FARs just say 'records', so any reasonable format should be okay.

My inspector wanted the initial inspection signed off by me before he arrived. Ask yours what he wants.

I tied to follow a format that our mechanics use on our aircraft.

Prior to the DAR I went to the FAA web site
Http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_guidence_library/rgAD.nsf/ADBiweekly!OpenView

Verified that there were no outstanding AD's and made a section toward the back of the Aircraft Logbook if it does not already have one and made a note

and list What ever AD's by number and stated how they were complied with and signed them off as builder.

Did the same thing on a SB section of the log book. Listed them all and the method of compliance

You need to do the same in you engine log book and prop log book.

Then in the front I started with all the spec of the aircraft and then recorded my first date of oil stating what type and how many qts were added. And every thing else that is maintenance I have recorded in order. By date it has been done.
When my tires are done dates and times will be logged also

There usually is an equipment list in log books and I have logged any avionics exchanges with part number and serial number along with the date and TT it was replaced. I did have some before my certification

You can sign all this off as builder.

After the DAR inspection I flew below Controlled airspace to a neighboring airport and had my transponder certified and Mode S checked.

I have a bulletin board in the hanger with all the due dates of various things.
Next registration due date
next oil/filter change
ELT Batteries due including the small batteries in the audio alert
Aircraft battery date installed
Transponder certification date
And other items that I need to keep track of.

I had all this done except transponder since there is no avionics shop on the field
Prior to my DAR inspection and he liked it.

Just how I have done stuff.

Jack

What Gary Says

The Builder will need to fill in the info about the aircraft and will need to make the first entry. The first entry by the builder is the same entry that is made for a "Condition Inspection" except that the title is Builder or Owner / Builder.

Entry should be:
?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.? Sign by person doing and list title.

This is what the FAA inspector had me do for my airworthiness inspection.