Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I haven't seen this but is it required to keep a plane log book for flight time? Or is this because I either owned a plane with several others and we used to keep up with our hour cost we split for maintenance or the spam cans I now rent.

I keep a flight log for me.
I'll keep one for maintenance (frame, engine, and prop).

Do I keep a plane time log too?

I haven't seen this but is it required to keep a plane log book for flight time? Or is this because I either owned a plane with several others and we used to keep up with our hour cost we split for maintenance or the spam cans I now rent.

I keep a flight log for me.
I'll keep one for maintenance (frame, engine, and prop).

Do I keep a plane time log too?

Wouldn't that be the hobbs or the tach time? Not trying to be a smart ***. I'm asking to learn. Can you tell I'm a low time pilot?

Last edited:
The FAA says....

Wouldn't that be the hobbs or the tach time? Not trying to be a smart ***. I'm asking to learn. Can you tell I'm a low time pilot?

The requirements are actually in AC 43-9C...

Part 1, section 1.1, Definitions, defines time in service, with respect to maintenance time records, as that time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches down leaves the surface of the earth until it touches down at the next point of landing.

NOTE - this is for airframe/engine stuff only, not pilot's logs...

In practise, this is somewhat difficult to record... but some of the newer GPS units will record time above a certain airspeed (such as 60 kts) which is essentially flight time.

Also, if you follow the AD discussion of a few days ago, Time In Service is much less important to our Experimentals than a certified plane.

gil A