DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
We got as far as we could VFR (Abilene, TX) Sunday, then the weather wall stopped moving north around 3pm. Up to that point it was BEAUTIFUL (some pics below). Plan B.....ate lunch with Scott's Dad, who lives there, and then put the planes in the FBO hangar (great help from these folks) and rented a SUV for the final 3hr leg home. There were some other RV folks doing the same thing.

We have a friend with a 4-seater Tiger who has already agreed to take us back out to KABI on Tue when the wx is forecast to be VFR. The weather was rain and 200' overcast all the way back in the car. 40min flight...no biggie.

Good decision to stop and we all had a great time laughing and cutting up in the car...better than the alternative <g>.

OK, some pics:

vaf3483ue0.jpg

vaf3488fx1.jpg

vaf3492ws0.jpg

vaf3494ju9.jpg

The Garmin 496 rocks in auto mode!!! Danny had the XM WX on his and it made this so much easier. We never got in a situation that we didn't have 10 options out of.

Much stuff to type up and lots of pics to process. Prizes to mail out. Things around the house to do <g>.

Hope everyone who got to come had as much fun as we did!

Best,
Doug

Last edited:
Doug, what's the bird on the other side of Danny's airplane in the third pic? Four bladed prop and a tail wheel??? :confused:

DeltaRomeo said:
We got as far as we could VFR (Abilene, TX) Sunday, then the weather wall stopped moving north around 3pm. Up to that point it was BEAUTIFUL (some pics below). Plan B.....snip

Good decision to stop and we all had a great time laughing and cutting up in the car...better than the alternative <g>.

Hope everyone who got to come had as much fun as we did!

Best,
Doug

Doug,
good to see you again in ABI, we waited around for another hour or so while I tinkered on stuff, then made a run through the big gap in the line of weather to the north. 1.5 of solid IMC, then clear for the rest of the trip. Glad you made it safely home, and thanks again for the wonderful weekend!

Nathan & Tanya Larson
N217JT RV9E..nice and clean after two day of rain!

Doug,
It was great to have a mini-LOE at ABI . Robby "HardKnox" and I ended up renting a car and driving to DFW. We took a Delta flight out at 7 am and were back in Savannah by 11:45 am. Putting down at ABI was a great choice. The FBO there is by far the best I have ever come across. As for the weather, on our way over La and Ms we were at 41,000 ft and the cloud tops were above us! Thank god for Delta Sky Miles! It only cost $60 and 25,000 miles. I'm glad to see Nathan and his wife made it home. I had a great time and flying in loose formation over the mountains was the most fun I have had in long time. Can't wait to do it next year in my 10! Nathan please put a post reply on the post about how good a RV is in IFR.

Todd Swezey

Carol and I made it to East Texas (Longview) in 3:15 at 11,000 feet, with an IFR departure out of 5T6. We never saw the ground until we landed in East Texas, although we were on top all the way, and then IMC from 9000' to 3000' on the way down. It's amazing to fly 3+ hours with a tail wind in an RV-10 and STILL be in Texas!
Another IFR departure out of Longview, and 3:13 to home. We started seeing ground about an hour out of Longview,a nd then it was clear the rest of the way!
Trip time out was 8:30, and trip time back was 6:30. Nice change. Breakfast in El Paso, and dinner at home. Thanks, Van!
We had a great time seeing everyone, and certainly flying with Paul Dys from NASA and Ed Wischmeyer (sp?) was an honor, too!
My hat's off to Doug, Red, Larry, and the rest of the team for a really flawless event.

Vic

Thanks for the memories

Doug,
As I sit here at my desk, I am living vicariously through you and your photographs. Whatever it takes, I will make it to LOE next year. What is the story on your camera. The photos are tremendous. I heard that you have some sort of stabilization mechanism in (or attached to) the camera. Is this some sort of mechanical gyro thing or electronic image stabilization?
Thanks,
Steve Ashby