DaveLS

Well Known Member
Why yes I have searched for the answer to the following question without success.

Is the commonly available (can purchase locally) Permitex Blue oil tolerant threadlocker an acceptable substitute for the harder to find (have to mail order) Loctite 243 threadlocker called out for the flaperon installation?

Thanks, Dave

Dave- Loctite 243 is blue in color and is a medium body thread locker .. considered to be a medium strength, removable product.

Not familiar with Permatex blue thread locker specifically ? but would think if the Permatex product you are considering is a medium strength thread locking product and considered removable, then you are likely OK.

What you don?t want is a product equivalent to the Loctite red thread locker (263 or 272) which is considered permanent thread locking material.

Like you, I could not find any locally in small quantities so placed an online order for a small bottle and added a couple of other items I needed anyway onto the order to make the shipping worthwhile.

Perhaps others will have more specific info on the Permatex product for you.

After trying to find the Loctite 243 in Aircraft Spruce catalog and Wicks I contacted Vans and they told me to try an auto parts store.
In my area Advanced Auto had it right on the shelf-- so I would try your local auto parts stores.

Terry

Thanks Tom & Jerry (could not resist),

Found the 243 in stock at Advanced Auto. Note: web search on the Advanced Auto site helped as only one of the local Advanced Auto stores had it in stock.

-Dave

What is the purpose of Loctite in this application? Is it for thread locking or to eliminate the wobble? The reason I ask is that a few hours after I installed the rodend bearings, I realized I put them in too deep and had to back them out. According to Vans and loctite cure time is 24 hours. I couldn't move them by hand before or after adjustment.

Jorge - My best guess is yes. I would think the primary reason to lock the threads with thread locking material is to insure the rod end remains in the proper position. I would also think as a side benefit, the thread lock would also aid in preventing the threads from wearing due to vibrations since the voids would be filled with the thread lock material ? but that is just a speculation, mechanical engineering is not my forte.

I don?t remember my rod end bearings having an excessive amount of wobble though. They appeared solid to me.

I would also think as a side benefit, the thread lock would also aid in preventing the threads from wearing due to vibrations since the voids would be filled with the thread lock material

This is actually the primary reason for the thread lock... the bearing is captured within the hinge bracket, so it is impossible for it to back out.

It would help to use a `Q' drill too. The plans call up either an 11/32"or a Q, but I found the 11/32" left the bearing rather loose. (Tiedown rings are the same). The bearing was tight after using 243, which should be available from most auto shops or hardware stores.

This is actually the primary reason for the thread lock... the bearing is captured within the hinge bracket, so it is impossible for it to back out.

I just wanted to make sure that backing the bearing out a turn and a half, before the Loctite finished curing didn't affect the damping ability. Maybe overthinking it AGAIN! My brackets were made by Vans and the bearing goes in with very little wobble.