glenn654

Well Known Member
Some time ago I saw a pictorial illustration of the installation of the locking gas caps as a retrofit. I can't remember if I saw it here or on a builders website. I've done a search here but couldn't get any hits...does anyone know where I can find this. I am going to install a set of there caps soon and would like to review the process.

Thanks,
Glenn Wilkinson

Call Ray.

Glenn:

Call Ray, he and I did all 4 on my RV-8. It was just a clean the opening, ProSeal the adapter, wait a while and insert the new cap.

If I had it to do over again, I would not waste the money.

Check out Robbie Attaway's web site.
http://www.attawayair.com/

On the left side you will see locking gas caps.
If they were not already on the airplane when I bought it from Robbie I would not have installed them as the airplane is kept in a hangar and I am not too worried about theft or tampering. No good way to replace them. If you put them on don't ever loose the key while travelling. I have also found that it is hard to find a replacement blank to have extras made although I have not been to a really good locksmith to find out if they have the proper blank. Most hardware stores do not.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.....Robbie Attaway's site seems very familiar. The main reason I bought the caps is because I had a pin break luckily just after returning from a x-country, if it has broken on the prior operation I would have been in a mess. So it is mostly a reliability issue for me.

Thanks for all the help guys!
And hey to Robbie!

Glenn Wilkinson

Broken Tank Cap

I had my right tank Cap break this weekend. I was giving a ride and happened to look out over the right wing and my cap was half up on the leading edge....Yikes...landed gingerly and reset it before flying another person...it did it again.
When I reset it after the seciond time the lever broke.
So I am considering either the lockabel caps from Vans or from Andair.

Anyone have opinions about andairs caps...is that what you guys are talking about here, or are they from Vans?
Thanks guys...
Doug
(flying off the left tank)1

Bill...thanks

Thanks Bill for the info, I looked at his site and it lokks pretty clear.
I was snooping the net a few nights ago and cam across Andairs caps...they look good as well
Doug