Jstov

Well Known Member
I have to remove a prop spacer on my io-360. How do I lock the flywheel to remove the bolts. Thanks in advance!

It would help to know what type spacer you have.

If it's "spool" type, the easiest thing would be to install the prop. Then you can hold the prop while you loosen the flywheel bolts.

If the flywheel bolts are "under" the prop then try putting a couple of prop bolts in and use a breaker bar or hefty screwdriver to lever them while you loosen the flywheel bolts.

It is the type with the prop bolts under the prop. I did think about a strap wrench though. I will try it but if it is torqued to 65 ft lbs as the prop bolts that is going to be tough!

When I torqued mine, I used a huge flat-blade screwdriver between a couple of the ring gear's teeth, braced against the starter housing. Just be careful not to damage the teeth...you could use some blue tape here if you want.

Ratchet strap

My strap wrench broke when I was removing the second bolt so I decided to use a standard ratchet strap on the ring gear. It worked well and got them all removed. Thanks for the help guys!

Air craft auto

You can most often get one lent to you at your local aircraft section at the auto supply near you. Just tell them you are putting on a converter and need to hold it while putting the bolts in. But if you want to spend a lot just to have one ask Snap-On to sell you a Fly-wheel holding tool. The last one I got off the truck was about $70, but that was a long time ago. The tool is not hard to make but the factory ones are nice for a lot of things.
Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888