Finley Atherton

Well Known Member
Anyone have a simple mod so that a tip-up canopy can be locked in the partly open position? I often find myself flying somewhere for a short visit and if the sun is out I like to leave the canopy in the part open position with the overhead handle resting on the rollbar to keep the cockpit cool.

Fin
9A

There are two solutions...

The first is the easiest...

1.With the canopy open, close the side canopy latch handle. This will move the L & R latch fingers into the "captured and secure" position. Now gently lower the canopy until the two canopy latch lugs rest on top of the latch fingers. You could also place a small thickness of plywood (or plastic) on top of the Al plate that the latch lugs would pass through.

2. Van's construction book (instructions) shows that it is optional to cut a slot into the roll-over channel frame that will allow the WD-621 "D-Handle" to be captured. This has the advantage of locking the canopy in a slightly open position, and a gust of wind will not allow it to be blown open.

Anyone have a simple mod so that a tip-up canopy can be locked in the partly open position? I often find myself flying somewhere for a short visit and if the sun is out I like to leave the canopy in the part open position with the overhead handle resting on the rollbar to keep the cockpit cool.

Fin
9A

Fin, I'm assuming you are interested in securing the plane with the canopy cracked open. I don't recall ever seeing a solution for your inquiry, but I wonder if you could use a bicycle locking cable passed through the D-handle and around the seat back support channel. This should discourage an honest person from getting in the plane. Hopefully those with evil intent would cut the cable instead of smashing the canopy.

Fin, I'm assuming you are interested in securing the plane with the canopy cracked open.

Correct Sam, I would like to be able to prop the canopy open with the tab of the overhead handle resting on the roll bar and somehow lock it with a key in this position so it could not be opened any further by someone with evil intent.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
You gave me an idea

Fin,

I used a hardware store cam lock to secure my canopy.
Like this:

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/34CamsMCL625BigPic.htm

When locked, the cam goes through a slot in the interior angle and external latch lever. If you cut a slot in the cam, I think you could lock it in the open position with a properly placed angle placed just above the stock angle. I know, clear as mud.
I'll be investigating this possibility for mine.
Keep in mind that when a seemingly good idea pops into my head, it's seldom encumbered by reality.

Locking the canopy....

Finley, maybe I'm just too darned naive but I'm gonna believe that most (not all) people are trustworthy at airports - especially when your parking for a short time. Most often the plane is in plain sight on a tarmac or such. It's the parking it for days that makes me worry. I will not have a lock on my canopy unless my insurance company absolutely insists on it. Too much work goes into building the canopy just to have some unscrupulous idiot bust it all to pieces to get at what they want. I would rather they just open the canopy and take what they want. Either way they're gonna get what they want but the "no lock" canopy will be far less work and "aircraft down time" for me.

But, the idea of being able to prop it open and have it be secured whilst I'm eating that $100 hamburger is very appealing.

My $.02

Finley, maybe I'm just too darned naive but I'm gonna believe that most (not all) people are trustworthy at airports - especially when your parking for a short time. Most often the plane is in plain sight on a tarmac or such. It's the parking it for days that makes me worry. I will not have a lock on my canopy unless my insurance company absolutely insists on it. Too much work goes into building the canopy just to have some unscrupulous idiot bust it all to pieces to get at what they want. I would rather they just open the canopy and take what they want. Either way they're gonna get what they want but the "no lock" canopy will be far less work and "aircraft down time" for me.

But, the idea of being able to prop it open and have it be secured whilst I'm eating that $100 hamburger is very appealing.

My $.02

I concur. The canopy on my RV-6 can be "locked" with a rinky-dink little combination padlock that anyone could cut with a hefty pair of diagonal cutters. But it is sufficient for discouraging the jerk who wants to open the unattended airplane so his kids can get inside for a photo (it can happen...). Fortunately, most of those individuals can't figure out how to release the tip-up canopy latch...............

If a thief wants something out of my plane, I hope he takes it without feeling the need to damage that expensive and labor-intensive canopy. The last thing I want is for him to get angry at a lock that is testing his patience.

I agree that I would rather a thief could get in by cutting a small padlock and steal the headsets or what ever than have to resort to busting the canopy. My concern is that when I leave the canopy partly open it is an obvious "open" invitation for someone to attempt to fully open the canopy and maybe play with the controls and switches, steal something or worse :eek:

Fin
9A

I agree that I would rather a thief could get in by cutting a small padlock and steal the headsets or what ever than have to resort to busting the canopy. My concern is that when I leave the canopy partly open it is an obvious "open" invitation for someone to attempt to fully open the canopy and maybe play with the controls and switches, steal something or worse :eek:

Fin
9A

Oh yes, I agree on that point 100%! I have heard horror stories of kids jumping up and down in the seats of an airplane that was open for viewing. Parents and pilots almost going to blows about the possible or subsiquent damage. And amazingly, a sign that says "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" means nothing!

The first is the easiest...

1.With the canopy open, close the side canopy latch handle. This will move the L & R latch fingers into the "captured and secure" position. Now gently lower the canopy until the two canopy latch lugs rest on top of the latch fingers. You could also place a small thickness of plywood (or plastic) on top of the Al plate that the latch lugs would pass through.

2. Van's construction book (instructions) shows that it is optional to cut a slot into the roll-over channel frame that will allow the WD-621 "D-Handle" to be captured. This has the advantage of locking the canopy in a slightly open position, and a gust of wind will not allow it to be blown open.

What drawing is that in?

What Drawing????

In the RV-6 Finish Kit instructions, Section 9, page 9-6, last paragraph, states that "Fig. 9-3 shows how a slot can be cut in F-631 to accept the tip of the canopy handle."

Well, there was no Figure 9-3 in my instructions document. I had called Van's tech support years prior to reaching this point in my construction task on similar omissions of figure details from the construction manual. I was told at that time that as more detail, and changing part numbers occurred, the manual either was or was not always updated for the correct verbiage, photos, and sketches. We should always use the "formal" drawings that came with the kit. However, in this specific instance, there was no formal drawing that shows the "slot".

The Preview Plans for the RV-6 , Section 9, last paragraphs, has words and sketches (SK-60, SK-60A) that show the operation of the Canopy Handle in the Closed, Resting Open, and Taxi/ Vent positions. This last item is the one that captures the tip of the canopy handle to prevent the canopy from being blown open.

Hope that helps...

What drawing is that in?

You really don't want to do this......

"2. Van's construction book (instructions) shows that it is optional to cut a slot into the roll-over channel frame that will allow the WD-621 "D-Handle" to be captured. This has the advantage of locking the canopy in a slightly open position, and a gust of wind will not allow it to be blown open."

First, it only works with you in the cabin. You will scratch the s**t out of the paint around the slot. And the slot does not look good. It is not there to secure the canopy when you are out of the A/C.

About cutting a slot for the canopy D-handle:

You really don't want to do this......

"2. Van's construction book (instructions) shows that it is optional to cut a slot into the roll-over channel frame that will allow the WD-621 "D-Handle" to be captured. This has the advantage of locking the canopy in a slightly open position, and a gust of wind will not allow it to be blown open."

First, it only works with you in the cabin. You will scratch the s**t out of the paint around the slot. And the slot does not look good. It is not there to secure the canopy when you are out of the A/C.

After ten years of taxiing my RV-6 with the canopy propped open, I have never seen an instance where the canopy was at risk of being "blown open" by a gust of wind. It takes considerable effort to raise the canopy the first several inches against the propwash--if the wind is gusting strong enough from the tail to raise the canopy.......my airplane will be tied down, not taxiing!!

About cutting a slot for the canopy D-handle:

After ten years of taxiing my RV-6 with the canopy propped open, I have never seen an instance where the canopy was at risk of being "blown open" by a gust of wind. It takes considerable effort to raise the canopy the first several inches against the propwash--if the wind is gusting strong enough from the tail to raise the canopy.......my airplane will be tied down, not taxiing!!

This may be true on some RVs, but I had to hold the canopy during the run-up and taxi on the RV-12 during my demo hop at Oshkosh this year. If left unattended and in the partially open position, any blast of power would cause it to lift.