Pete P

Seeking guidance if a good quality lockable fuel cap (suit Vans RV7 standard opening without need to modify) is available either from Vans or after market??
Part #? supplier?
Tks Pete P

You mean these? Found by searching 'fuel cap' on Van's store page.

Edit: if you were looking for retrofit, I am not aware of anything. These would require you to remove an existing flange to replace with the flange included with the cap. But the opening in the skin remains the same.

Last edited:
You can buy a after market cap that require you to bond in place a new sleeve in the old flange ... The upside is that you do not need to change the flange .. the downside is that you now have a smaller hole to put the nozzle in when you re-fuel ....

Jan
would you happen to have a link to where I could buy these types of retrofit caps/flanges?

You can buy a after market cap that require you to bond in place a new sleeve in the old flange ... The upside is that you do not need to change the flange .. the downside is that you now have a smaller hole to put the nozzle in when you re-fuel ....

Andair

Andy at Andair in the UK sells them. I purchased mine at Sun N Fun or Oshkosh to save on shipping. The nice part about the ring that gets pro-sealed into the existing flange is that it keeps the fuel nozzle from chipping the paint.

http://www.andair.co.uk/system/index.html

Last edited:
Andair locking fuel caps

Do a Yahoo search "andair locking fuel caps " I love mine in my RV8 !

why?

Why do you want lockable fuel caps?

Ever had fuel stolen? I have once, it was through the quick drains. It was like 5 gals.

I have walked away from my airplane hundreds of times and left instructions to the FBO to pump fuel. Can't do that if the caps are lockable.

In fact, heard a fellow RV-er say at the VJU formation clinic this year that he wished he'd not gone with lockable caps for exactly that reason.

Why do you want lockable fuel caps?

Ever had fuel stolen? .

I like my Andair fuel caps because they are very easy to open (as long as you have the key). I hated the stock caps from Van's. I had a heck of a time unlatching them and getting them out.

I also think they look better. :)

Not the least bit worried about having fuel stolen but I like the fact that I have to be there to unlock the caps when the plane is being fueled.

I like mine. Also like the above posters, I am not worried about someone draining fuel. It is what goes in, when and by whom that is more important.

lockable Fuel Caps

Tks to all who responded with both Andair and Vans retro recommended.
A couple of responders wanted to know why......I think the lockable caps just give you as the PIC an increased level of security over your aircrafts Fuel system, sure the quick drain plugs can be easily removed in order to drain some fuel but it sure is a slow process if the main caps are securely in place providing a partail vacuum.
Most of our refuelling here is via self serve using a swipe card so no issues with forgetting to unlock the caps!
Thanks again to all respondents!!:D

Re Wayne Gillespie-my sentiments exactly Wayne-just out of interest which type did you settle on ...andair or Vans????

Pete P

Pete, I used the deluxe from Van. Newton Equipment Ltd from England, Part# A30L-VNS. It required a lot of sanding to match tank skin curvature. Use gloves and cooling water. I bought a spare one from Van to keep in stock, but no need for the flange if anyone wants it.

I have not had to do anything to them in 2 yrs except tighten them once. Very good quality product.

Last edited:
Another vote for the retro-fit caps from Van's - which are made by Newton

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1387122967-42-120&browse=misc&product=retro-cap

They are very similar to the Andair caps because Andy at Andair ripped off the design - which is why there has been something of a feud between Andy and Robin at Newton. Either will do the job very well, the Newton caps are also available from Spruce, and from Gloster Air Parts in the UK.

I've recently fitted these caps and wish I did it ages ago, I no longer have to lever up the tab, nor drip a few drops of fuel on the O-ring - one of the better after-market additions.

Pete

Last edited:
Tks to all who responded with both Andair and Vans retro recommended.
A couple of responders wanted to know why......I think the lockable caps just give you as the PIC an increased level of security over your aircrafts Fuel system, sure the quick drain plugs can be easily removed in order to drain some fuel but it sure is a slow process if the main caps are securely in place providing a partail vacuum.
Most of our refuelling here is via self serve using a swipe card so no issues with forgetting to unlock the caps!
Thanks again to all respondents!!:D

The fuel will drain much quicker after the thief punctures the top of the tank with a knife.

-Andy

The Andair Caps are beautifully machined locking caps.

As a US Distributor for Andair, we have them in stock and ready to ship. In addition, we offer engraving services on the caps which really add a nice touch.

wpc1b1f1c2_05_06.jpg

More information can be found at

http://aircraftspecialty.com/engraving.html

Have a great week,
Steve

I had a set of Newton locking caps on my -4 and I was happy with them with one exception.

With full fuel they would spit fuel through the lock, does anyone make a locking cap that will not do that?

I went with the locking caps to get away from the nuisance of the original caps.

Glenn Wilkinson

I had a set of Newton locking caps on my -4 and I was happy with them with one exception.

With full fuel they would spit fuel through the lock, does anyone make a locking cap that will not do that?

I went with the locking caps to get away from the nuisance of the original caps.

Glenn Wilkinson

Get a new red plastic piece and larger o-rings from Robin Voice at Newton.