prkaye

Well Known Member
The washers taht came with my engine/carb to go under the 4 nuts holding the carb onto the engine included 4 AN936 internal tooth lockwashers (AN5 size). I've had to remove and reattach the carb, so I feel I should use fresh lockwashers. Unfortunately Vans only supplies the AN936 washers in the AN4 size. Would an acceptable substitute be the AN935 style lock washers (AN935C516)? Also, should these lockwashers go between the nut and the AN960 washer, or between the AN960 washer and the surface of the carb?

Last edited:
Nut, lockwasher, plain washer, fastener. I've always liked the split washers, sometimes tooth washers crack. Not often, once in awhile. Split washers are standard on some spam can carburetors. Make sure you have enough stud length.

Drilled nuts

For all places I use a lock washer I replace everytime I remove the nut. get your self some extras of the style you like. I use the starwashers for electrical (better electrical contact) and the splits of other applications.

For my fuel injection servo installation I decided to use drilled nuts and lock wire them together. I guess I trust lock wire more then a lockwasher. The lock wire should not effect the flow into my fuel injection servo as it is next to the rubber seal of the K&N filter. should be in the stagnet air region.

Last edited:
Make sure that you order 100... you'll use them up quickly as you work on the engine. Also, order 100 copper spark plug washers... it's nice to keep a supply. Don't tell your friends you have them.

Vern

The washers taht came with my engine/carb to go under the 4 nuts holding the carb onto the engine included 4 AN936 internal tooth lockwashers (AN5 size). I've had to remove and reattach the carb, so I feel I should use fresh lockwashers. Unfortunately Vans only supplies the AN936 washers in the AN4 size.
Phil,

I've got dozens of internal lock washers in AN3, 4 and 5 sizes. I can give you the ones you need, if you want. You can buy me a beer someday, and we'll call it even :)

Lock washers are definitely something you only use once, so you should get a bunch of all the sizes on your aircraft. You will need them eventually.

Thansk Kevin! I think I'll go ahead and buy 100 of each size from that supplier mentioned above. As you said, would be good to have a tonne on hand. Thanks again!
Instead, I'll buy you a beer in exchange for some flight testing advice, hopefully next summer (2010)!
Phil