wrongway john

Well Known Member
Not all parts are listed in Van?s on-line catalog. Since I bought my 6 used, somebody at Van?s was kind enough to send me all of the drawings on-line of my RV-6 where I could identify certain things that I need.

On drawing 34 of the fuselage, there is a 3/8? polyethelene tube. It?s the tube that exits out the fuselage towards the tail, and has the rudder cable going through it. Mine on my plane are wore out, and are fixin? to start rubbing against my fuselage.

The lady at Van?s said they don?t sell just the polyethelene tube itself, and that I would have to buy the entire cable assembly. I told them I wasn't going to do that. She told me I might try their supplier and see if I could order just the tubes through them. It took much explaining, he didn't seem to know who Van's aircraft was, nor where they were located, but eventually he understood what I was needing, but said they generally don?t deal with any order unless it?s a $500.00 minimum. He in turn, said I could try their plastic supplier, and he gave me their number, but I think I?ll pass for now, because it takes a great deal of explaining when having to order like this.

I?m sure others have had their tubes wear out. What did you do? Seems like maybe something at the local hardware store might have some durable plastic tubes one could substitute in its place.

What other parts might I expect a lot of legwork to locate a part?

Its just polyethylene tubing you can get at the plumbing supply section at Lowes. The bigger problem you are going to have is getting the pieces of tubing on the cable since those are put on when the cables are manufactured. You will have to have new ends swaged on and put longer extensions in at the pedals since the cables will have to be shortened. Or just buy new cables.

Bob didn't mention it, and I don't want to counter an A&P, but I believe you can just split the tubing with a sharp knife, slip it over the cable and you're good. The tubing should remain closed as is, but for extra insurance, you could add a couple small 4" tie-wraps along the length of the tubing to hold it closed.

Places like McMaster-Carr sell just about every type of material known to man.

Bob is correct, the tubbing can be found at any hardware store. You can probably split one side of the tube lengthwise to slide it over the cable and affix it so the side the cable rubs on is opposite the split.
Ryan

That was going to be my next question, about wondering if I could cut it length wise, and put the cut to the outside, since the cable wears on the inside portion. I think that's just what I will do, and guess I will head to Lowes for now.

Thanks all of you!

Go to a boat supply store AKA marina. They sell exactly what you are looking for already split lengthwise.

Bob didn't mention it, and I don't want to counter an A&P, but I believe you can just split the tubing with a sharp knife, slip it over the cable and you're good. The tubing should remain closed as is, but for extra insurance, you could add a couple small 4" tie-wraps along the length of the tubing to hold it closed.

I have no problem with splitting the tubing. :) The problem is going to be with how the tube is secured. With it split it may be impossible to tighten an adel clamp over it. Would be ok if the old tube is left in place and this went over it.

Another option

I'll offer another option. A couple annuals back I noticed similar wear. My quick solution was to simply loosen the clamp and rotate tube so it was wearing on the other side.

I figured this gave me another 700+ hours or umpteen years before I'd need to come up with a better solution.

Where does the clamp go? Mine didn't have any clamps, were they supposed to? I just had loose polyethelene tubes that was torn completely...both of them were.

I got back from Lowes and in their plumbing section had some 3/8” OD polyethelene priced at 22 cents a foot. I took a razor, sliced it down the middle, put the cut out. After I got it over the cable, the polyethelene tube fit perfectly back over the cut and was rather stiff. I suppose I could have superglued (if that adhesive works on polyethelene) the cut, but not sure it is necessary. Put a little bit of silicone adhesive around it which will hopefully keep it in place on the fuselage.

I'll see how it holds up like this.

Where does the clamp go? Mine didn't have any clamps, were they supposed to?

The plans show an adel clamp which is located inside the fuselage, near the cable exit point. The clamp keeps the plastic tubing from moving. The clamp is attached using a screw, which goes through the external skin. On mine, I think it is a #10 screw set in a countersunk hole, with the screw head accessable from outside the airplane.