todehnal

Well Known Member
Considering that our baggage area is a bit small in our RV-12s, is there any thought about placing a small, light weight gym bag on top of the tank, as long as I keep the total baggage area weight within the 50 lb limitation. I can find nothing in any of the documentation that addresses this issue. I have carpeting and it just looks like an ideal place for a small gym bag, but I certainly don't want to jeopardize the integrity of my tank. It would even be easily reachable in flight! Any thought??

Tom

I keep a couple of folded towels and washcloths on top of the tank. Use them for covering the seats in the bright sun. I don't put anything else on top of the tank.

I guess I'm the exception here. When I'm loaded up for a long cross country trip, baggage space is at a premium. I don't hesitate to load lighter duffle bags, pillows, etc, on top of the tank if I need to. Space is space, and I usually need more of it. As long as you can secure the stuff from flying around, and as long as you're not putting a tool box or something like that up there, you should be fine.

Heck, my tank isn't even covered with carpet either, it's polished. And I still use it.

Towels, washcloths, jacket, pillows, blanket - yeah, no problem with that stuff. The tank SUPPORTS expect up to 120 pounds inside the tank plus g-force. Burn off a gallon or two and that's 6-12 pounds. (The TOP of the tank isn't "specifically designed" to bear weight though. So, soft stuff, common sense. It is a sturdy box.)