Master Designs

Well Known Member
I'll be bringing home my new RV-4 in a couple of weeks and as soon as I get her home, I want to dive right in and replace the original thin weldments (lower left has a crack). I have decided since I'm going to pull the motor that I will also upgrade to the longer gear legs and required new motor mount.

I would like to ask what parts I will need and what tools and materials I should start to gather. So far, this is what I think I will need:

Lower Left Weldment #WD403-L
Lower Right Weldment #WD403-R
Dynafocal Motor Mount
Tall Gear Legs
Tall Gear Leg Fiberglass Fairings
New Style Wheel Pants
Lower Firewall #401A
$50 RV-4 Preview Plan Set / Build Manual (hope this manual answers questions like torque settings, etc...)

(Maybe) Upper Left Weldment #WD402-L
(Maybe) Upper Right Weldment #WD402-R
(Maybe) RV-6 Gusset F-855PP-L (common additional side gusset to add)
(Maybe) RV-6 Gusset F-855PP-R (common additional side gusset to add)

*Will I need things like:
Longer Brake Lines?
Lower Longerons?
Firewall Braces?

What tools (engine hoist, rivet gun, drill bits, bucking bar, etc...) and materials (rivets, etc...) will I need? I know I don't need every tool in a $2,000 RV-Builders Tool Kit; however, I don't have any aircraft tools at this time, so feel free to make me a shopping list.

I truly appreciate any help and guidance you can provide me. I'd like to have the hospital room (hangar) totally stocked and ready for the patient (RV-4) ready as soon as she arrives. ;)

I'll be bringing home my new RV-4 in a couple of weeks and as soon as I get her home, I want to dive right in and replace the original thin weldments (lower left has a crack). I have decided since I'm going to pull the motor that I will also upgrade to the longer gear legs and required new motor mount.

Hi Robert,
I would definately get the Upper left and right weldments as you will have the plane all tore apart with the engine off at that point and you might as well do them too. They will also be easier to do than the bottoms.

I would also put in the reinforcing gussets. I got the parts and put them on my RV-4. You may not be able to put the bottom ones in unless you use cherry max rivets, but you should be able to install the top reinforcing gussets. Come out to my hanger at Goodyear sometime and you can see what I am talking about.

You will probably need longer brake lines. The plans use a plastic line but a lot of people have replaced them with aluminum or stainless steel braided lines.

You dont have to put the New Style wheel pants on unless you want. The old ones will work just fine.

You will probably have to make or get new upper and lower gear leg intersection fairings.

Not sure you have to replace the lower firewall unless it is already crumpled? Thats a lot of extra work. However, with it out, it allows easy assess to the bottom weldments.

If you are getting the new dynafocal motor mount, you will want to check your rubber (Lord?) mounts. If they are 20 years old or so, you might want to replace them with new mounts if they don't meet the specs anymore.
The Lower longerons don't need to be replaced unless they are damaged already or are damaged when removing the weldments.
Firewall braces same way. There are some spacers that you have to hand make that go in front of the weldment as I recall.

There are a couple small brackets on each side of the bottom of the fuselage that either have to be drilled out and removed or a large hole drilled into them. The lower weldments are bolted with 4 bolts. Access to the nuts on the bottom of the bolts is not available unless these brackets are removed or a hole is cut into them.

The most important tool you need is the expert RV person to do the work or to guide you as this is a big job to do.

If you stop by sometime, you can visually make a list of the tools that I think you will need.

You are going to need jack stands and/or some kind of support for the fuselage while the motor mount and gear legs are off the aircraft.

The other thing to be prepared for is project creep. Not uncommon when doing something major like this to find other things that have to be fixed or other improvements that you want to do.

Last edited: