guidoism

Has anyone put together a list of potential modifications and deviations that are popular with builders? If something like this doesn't already exist I can put one together myself.

Specifically, I'd like something like this:

Avionics Access Panel (see VAF posts x, y, and z)
  • Models: All
  • Benefits: No need to pull out entire panel to replace an instrument
  • Disadvantages: A little bit of your time
  • Time: 5 hours
  • Cost: A few extra rivets
  • Decision: You can decide to to this mod anytime
  • Bottom Line: Do it, it's quick and will make your life easier later on

FooBar Gear (http://foobar-gear.com)
  • Models: RV-7/8
  • Benefits: Less drag (adds 2 knots); looks better; easier to install
  • Disadvantages: Cost; more difficult to access the doogle-tookle widget later
  • Time: ~25% faster to install than standard gear
  • Cost: $3000 more than standard gear
  • Decision: Best to decide to do this mod before installing the Bazzle nut plate in section 5.
  • Bottom Line: Up to you, it's expensive but a nice improvement

I was putting together links to VAF posts for my own build and was curious if others think it would be worth putting this online for other's benefit. And I'd like help distilling some long posts down to something that won't get missed by builders before decision time.

Any opinions on what should go into that list?

Has anyone put together a list of potential modifications and deviations that are popular with builders? If something like this doesn't already exist I can put one together myself.

Specifically, I'd like something like this:

Avionics Access Panel (see VAF posts x, y, and z)
  • Models: All
  • Benefits: No need to pull out entire panel to replace an instrument
  • Disadvantages: A little bit of your time
  • Time: 5 hours
  • Cost: A few extra rivets
  • Decision: You can decide to to this mod anytime
  • Bottom Line: Do it, it's quick and will make your life easier later on

FooBar Gear (http://foobar-gear.com)
  • Models: RV-7/8
  • Benefits: Less drag (adds 2 knots); looks better; easier to install
  • Disadvantages: Cost; more difficult to access the doogle-tookle widget later
  • Time: ~25% faster to install than standard gear
  • Cost: $3000 more than standard gear
  • Decision: Best to decide to do this mod before installing the Bazzle nut plate in section 5.
  • Bottom Line: Up to you, it's expensive but a nice improvement

I was putting together links to VAF posts for my own build and was curious if others think it would be worth putting this online for other's benefit. And I'd like help distilling some long posts down to something that won't get missed by builders before decision time.

Any opinions on what should go into that list?

I think this is a great idea. What held me up (and still does) is analysis paralysis. There are SO many options, not just with the structure, but when YOU design the electrical, fuel, and avionics systems, etc. For me it was overwhelming to hear all the different permutations of stuff you can do. You'll notice there is already a section of tailwheel vs nose, tipup vs slider, fuel injection vs carb, vertical vs horizontal induction... etc etc.

Guido, with most folks going to "glass", they come out quickly and give you great access behind the panel. You also won't worry about avionics getting rainwater on them.

Best,