ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a reasonably priced lipstick camera.

I am planning on putting at least two lipstick cameras on my RV-10. I will have one on the vertical stab and one either in the wingtip looking forward or possibly back at the fuselage.

Does anyone recommend a certain one? I know the NASCAR guys use the Toshiba brand but they are $1100 per camera. I am looking for the highest resolution one I can get for a more reasonable price.

I am going to hook it to the Alpine or Sony flip up DVD player. The Alpine has 2 or 3 A/V inputs and also has outputs so I can record to a camcorder.

Thanks.

What kind of camcorder?

What type of camcorder are you planning on using? I have been unable to find one that will accept an external video input. I'd also be interested in the kind of camera that you decide to get.

Pete

Bullet Cam's

Check out Super Circuits, out of Austin, TX.

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4157

Even while I am IN the business of selling security alarm, video, and fire alarm products (I work for Honeywell who holds the largest marketshare of all these lines of business), I still endorse Super Circuits from a retail standpoint (Honeywell/I can only sell to licensed alarm, fire, and video dealers).

Super Circuits has some really nice products, some of which I have also bought myself. I own a couple of the cameras I listed in the above link, and they work great around my home. I also bought one to install in the vertical stabilizer of my -9. At $84.95 and with really nice resolution (and weatherproof) they are hard to beat. I can tell you that Super Circuits doesn't have a lot of markup in the cameras at the prices they list.

Hope this helps!?

Merry Christmas.

Dvr

Gary - thanks for the link to the lipstick cameras. They are the cheapest decent camera I've seen. I'd like to plug in several (4?) cameras to a DVR - anyone have any suggestions for a good, rugged, 12v, (cheap?) DVR?

Robby, how are you recording all your video?

Lipstick cameras / DVD

Does anyone have any good pictures they can attach of their installations? Any video links of actual inflight video with one of these cameras?

Thanks for all the info so far. Here is the DVD player I am planning on having in the panel.
I was going to have a switch to go between the different cameras but with this I should be able to hook up at least two cameras. I am still figuring it all out though. I just don't know how hard it is going to be to switch between the cameras.
49505544-M.gif

Lipstick Cameras

I've been using one from helmetcamera.com with good results. I've got a 480 line that went for about $300. I think they have a 500+line one these days for about the same money.

Good Luck,
Todd

Dvr

Baja_Traveler said:
This is the DVR I've had my eye on: DVR It will handle 4 cameras simultaneously.
That looks like what I'm after, I just want one that will record all 4 channels at full quality and frame rate. Thanks for the pointer!

Monitor for Lipstick Cameras (or others)

Along the lines of this thread, can anyone suggest a panel mount LCD monitor that is viewable in sunlight? What type/mfg is typically used for the EFIS, EIS displays? Sources?

Thanks

Cool Stabilizer Cam!

I knew I had seen this somewhere and I finally found the link again. Check out how this builder installed his tail camera! There are also great videos included, showing in-flight quality.

http://www.rv8a.com/stabcam/index.htm

Take care,

Last edited: