burgundyja

Well Known Member
has anyone put a LIO-360 in a rv? I have a rv-8a and it looks like the left hand engine is cheaper used would there be any problems with this? would the prop cost more or less?

For one thing, you would need a custom engine mount. The mount is canted to the right to counteract P-factor. Also the vertical fin is offset. This would need to be changed. My guess is the prop would cost more.

Last edited:
Could you convert it to right hand?

I'm wondering what parts are different. The cam for sure. The accessory case maybe.

This idea could only pay off if you intended to overhaul it right away.
You would think the left hand parts would be worth some $$$.

Mahlon knows the answers to these questions I'm sure.

Mark

I agree with Mel that you'd need a new engine mount, but if I recall correctly on my -8, the fin is set up dead center - all the correction is in the engine mount. I know that other models use an offset fin.

Paul

My bad Paul,
I was thinking of the -7 and -9. Actually I thought that Van had changed to -8 too. Never mind!

Lousy resale......

burgundyja said:
thanks for the input i think i will stay with right rotation.

Good move.......I think that down the road, resale or trade-in, you'd take a beatin'. Also don't think you'd have nearly the prop choices either.

Regards,

There are a few prop choices for "L" engines out there. You might even find a bargain on one. Before finding my engine, I came across a killer deal on a good Hartzel CS "L" prop. But I agree that it would not be optimum.