Ron B.

Well Known Member
My 2000' grass strip has a 69,000 volt transmition line on the western end. I've been building it for the last 15 years, and for more than that I've witnessed the local power people inspect the line via helicopter. Today we were experiencing a black out and I was putting things away for the season (construction equipment). Due to the power outage I witnessed this inspection via helicopter again. But this time I was on the grass strip, usually I'm at home when they go by.
Viewing the helicopter from the strip changed my opinion on the inspection procedure. Had an aircraft been departing at the same time, (which is very unlikely, but could happen) both pilots would only have a couple seconds to respond and the responce would have to be the correct manover to avoid a colision. The helicopter was about 30 ft above the wires , might have been higher as I was 2000' away. Our RV-10 usually is much higher over the wires as are the Super Cubs but the 172 stationed here does pass in that area some warm days.
My question, is this a acceptable risk? Should the helicopter have a procedure when crossing the end of my registered strip? I'm thinking it could check the poles just before my strip and circle back and cross the strip center field then if all clear continue down the line.
I had the power corp. install three large balls on the lines but they fell off in the first year. I've contacted all the local authorities but no one knows who is responsible for the balls. The proverbial we'll get back to you.
I always look at the "what ifs". This one's a long shot, but the image I have now in my head after today is not one I want to see on lift off .
Ron

Realistically?

Probably should plan on using good rules of the road. . . .look both ways before crossing the street or look both ways before taking off over the powerlines.

Here, pipeline typically gets flown every two weeks and thats fixed wing. Because of the expense, the powerlines usually only gets flown by whirly bird about once a year and then with some pretty fancy camera equipment.

I've flown pipeline and there were days when I could cover 1000 miles. Thats all at around 300 ft, 120kts. I talked to control towers when flying through their airspace. Made radio calls when flying through nontowered airports. . but to be honest. A circle R never gets much attention. I flew when moving map GPS's were just coming out so that might help awareness now, but while I had charts on board, they never were out. My entire attention was out the window and then usually looking down.

So seriously, best advice is to look both ways.

I can look both ways and don't mind doing so. But my field of vision is the runway width of about 250', 40' trees line the runway on both sides. I will have to be airborne before I can see over the trees. If you are barreling down the line at 120kts and I'm climbing out at 100kts to clear over the power line. In the two seconds before impact where do you suggest I turn? Into the trees?
I'm not flaming your responce, I'm just trying to paint a remote but true picture of this dreadfull situation.
Maybe I should be contaction the patrol guy's every time I depart to see if they have any planned patrols in my area? I'm thinking , myself as a pilot must make sure I know my surroundings in order to conduct a safe flight, shouldn't the patrol be expected to do the same and now his route. Again I respect your point of view and appreciate your comments.
Ron

Realistically?

No offense taken.. .I figure free advise is worth what someone pays for it.

Realistically, what are your options? I'm guessing best case would be to contact power company, track down patrol contractor, get pilots info, contact pilot, make aware of your airstrip and convince to circle field before continuing down powerline. At a minimum, maybe he would be aware enough that he'd at least slow down before crossing departure end of runway and give both pilots enough time to manuever and avoid each other.

Other than that Im not sure what else there is to do, which is probably why there aren't any other responses. The truth is, the safest place to be in an airplane is on the ground with the engine off.

You asked what to do in that split second when trying to avoid other aircraft. ..only answer I have is "the right thing". I've had the TOO exciting experience of playing chicken with other airplanes down low, crop dusters, even other patrol pilots. I've had planes take off over me from side grass runways while landing on the main paved runway. I've had planes do straight in finals and scare the snot out of me on my turn from base. I've had planes cross my path at 8500ft and 90degrees and probably not 100 ft separation.

All these cases were with no radio communications, even at airports. Either neither of us saw each other till the last minute or the other guys just didn't care and figured I'd move (which I did, and PROMPTLY). Some I'm sure they never did see me. Most of the time drastic manuevering was required. I don't know if a collision would have occured, but it definetly would have been even closer.

Its always managed risk. Me? I quite patrol flying. Sold my personal airplane of the time and let my CFI expire. Within two years, two guys I had flown with crashed and died. They both lived in my small town of about 900 people. Both were good pilots with LOTS of time. I had even done the last BFR for one.

Now Im flying again. Just can't kick the bug, but I fly like I drive, very defensive. I figure everyone else on the road OR in the air has their head stuck "you know where" and I try never to assume they are going to do the right thing. . . especially at airports.

Be safe and good luck.

Steve

Let me see if I got this right. The helicopter is 30 feet above the power lines, and you are concerned about the 172 that comes close to that range? If I was flying the 172, I would think that a turn away from the power lines after takeoff would be highly prudent. If a helicopter that is 30 feet above a set of 60,000 volt power lines is a hazard, then I would suggest that someone else is flying too close to the power lines.

Tracy.

Thanks again for the replies and I agree with most coments. The 172 pilots says he crosses the lines at 200'. Watching him from the ground without a streches out tape measure I disagree. He is always over 30' above and probably 100' plus above usually. What I'm saying is if he would be taking off and this patrol was passing at the same time he would be turning to avoid the chance of having a colision. With the small time frame he would have to react I doubt a turn would take place, I think luck would get it turn at determination their faith. He would probably be high enough for luck to work out. I don't like depending on luck, I like at least two outs from a situation.
My grass strip runway 28 that has the lines at it's end is 2000' long stopping at the cones. The cones placement was determined by Transport Canada's official who used a device to determine a 15 degree angle from the cones to the lines.The actual grass goes all the way under the line and I mow it for a runout area. The runout area is about 300' to 400' long. I'm also extending the opposite end and have the same runout distance but it is still dirt with small rocks that would chip a prop if used for take off. Once it is seeded next spring it will help a lot.
Thanks again Ron

During preflight yesterday, the line patrol heli passed again. Once airborne I heard them on the radio and asked if they were aware of my grass strip's existance. He very politely said no, and that at their next safety meeting he would bring the issue up and get back to me with a plan. He said they could e-mail me advising of an up comming flight in my area, but that would not advise visiting aircraft.
Once advised he appeared to be interested in a solution.
Ron

Line Patrol

Ron
As you know flying in Canada ,the enroute frequency that most pilots should use in 126.7 and that line patrol chopper should be monitoring it if he's outside a control zone.
Might be a good idea to do a pre-take off traffic advisory on 126.7 and 123.45 ( Air to Air ) so if he's around or any other traffic would know that you are about ready to take off from your strip.

That what I do from our strip ( we also have a power line that parallel the strip about 600-700' away ) and sure enough when there's someone close by, they let us know.

Just my .02 cents.

Bruno

The transmission lines cross 90 degrees to my strip and were the determining factor as to it's end as my property extends beyond the lines. If there were no trees on both sides of the strip it would not be an issue. I do call for traffic, but I call on 123.2 our designated frequency. Friday the chopper was on the local airport frequency I switched to after getting airborne.
I would like both trafic to be aware ( strip and line patrol) of the potential conflict.
Ron