joedallas

Well Known Member
Line of thrust

Does anyone know?
Is the line of thrust of the RV12 the centerline of the aircraft and the top of the Longerons or the top engine mount bolts and is there a P factor of 1.5°

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
P factor is the yawing moment caused by the difference in blade aoa between the down going and up going prop blades. What you are referring to is a thrust offset and it should be built into the engine mount.

As I recall this has been asked before and the answer was the RV-12 has no offset.
I think I believe this... Flew today and noticed how much right rudder I'm holding in a climb to center ball. Level flight is hands off with ball centered.

I think I believe this... Flew today and noticed how much right rudder I'm holding in a climb to center ball. Level flight is hands off with ball centered.

You probably have a trim tab riveted to the rudder which is inducing some right rudder to center the ball. It does take a lot of right rudder to center the ball during climb, but I'm not smart enough to know whether that's caused by engine alignment, p-factor, or something else.:)

The old aero engineer says

it's basically P-factor-- lots of torque at low airspeed combined with propwash rotation. Many (most?) airplanes have the thrust line offset or the vertical stabilizer at a small angle of attack, or a non-symmetric airfoil on the VS or some combination of the above. The RV-12 has none, so we stand on the right rudder during climb.

Wayne 120241/143WM

The Y axis of thrust

still looking for the center line of thrust
I now know that it is the center of the top engine bolts at the firewall is the X axis and has o? offset. I am still looking for the Y axis, I think it is also the center line of the top engine bolts at the firewall or a fraction higher ?

If any one can confirm this it would be appreciated

for you guys who cant remember what X an Y are

Try to Remember X to the left Y to the Sky

Thanks Joe Dallas

I was always under the impression that the centerline of thrust would be the middle of the propeller shaft. How the airplane reacts to that center line of thrust would depend on factors like COG, AOA, drag, etc. Might be an over simplification on my part.

Jim

Line of thrust projected thru the aircraft

Jim
you are correct

What I am looking for is that line at the firewall

Information for building a alternate engine mount.

Joe Dallas

I was always under the impression that the centerline of thrust would be the middle of the propeller shaft. How the airplane reacts to that center line of thrust would depend on factors like COG, AOA, drag, etc. Might be an over simplification on my part.

Jim