odlee

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried to cut and reconnect the crank sensor wiring on a Lightspeed unit. I know the factory does not approve, but how have you "successfully":) accomplished this.

Thanks,David

I cut a notch down from the top of the flange on the firewall about three inches. This allowed me to slide the wire down the slit. At the bottom of the slit I drilled a hole that intersected the slot. This is where the grommet goes.
I slit a grommet and slipped it on to the wire and pushed it into the hole. The slot was then filled with firestop. I may have some photos.

Yes

I had a dual crank sensor and was only using one ignition initially. When I went to connect a 2nd unit a few years later I found that 2 of the wires were worn thru by rubbing the flywheel. I used normal crimp style butt connectors to fix. Worked perfect. Of course I did a better job of securing the wires this time. That was about 8 months and 120 flight hours ago. I also have the new feature that has 2 led lights to warn if either unit goes off. Don't know when that came out, but believe it may have come out after 2007.

If I recall correctly ...

... Chad unsoldered the wires on the factory D-sub for his Lightspeed, ran the wires thru a small hole in the firewall, and then resoldered the D-sub. It worked fine. Personally, I did not have that much confidence in my soldering skills ... I just cut a near-one-inch opening in the f'wall, and then used a SS shield.

Yes, I used crimped d-sub pins. Takes all the angst out of trying to solder those little suckers. I thought is was more important to have small holes in the firewall.

Exactly what Randy did.
Mark the wires before you cut them, they are all white.
Besides, if you are ever going to add a second Lightspeed or like me, connect the outgoing RPM wire on the wrong Dsub, it'll be much easier to push a crimped pin into the correct slot vs soldering under the instrument panel.

I am going to be using firewall CPCs for all my sensor wires, including the LSE sensors, on my RV-10. The LSE wires will be cut and pinned at the CPC. It's a high-quality connection, so I am not particularly worried - from a design point of view - about problems with the system, but I will be testing carefully to make sure that the installed system operates normally.

CPC = Cannon Plug Connector. The ones that Aerotronics has located for my firewall are designed to withstand high temps, as opposed to the plastic-bodied ones in use elsewhere in my airframe. They cost a lot more, though.