LifeofReiley

Well Known Member
Looking for some ideas on what folks are using set-up wise to cool the Lightspeed Plasma III boxes on 6 cylinder installs. Got a lot of ideas... what has worked best for others out there? :)

Looking for some ideas on what folks are using set-up wise to cool the Lightspeed Plasma III boxes on 6 cylinder installs. Got a lot of ideas... what has worked best for others out there? :)

Against the recommendations of the knowledgeable and intelligent staff at LSE, I have 1500 hours on a pair on the FW cabin side no cooling added.

As with all electronics cooler is better. There is a trade off of time and effort and $$.

Fan

Since the Plasma III has a port for cooling air you might as well make use of it.
I installed one of these to the underside of the instrument area near the fresh air inlet. One hose is plugged into the LSI port and the other just blows air over the top.
2 pack of fans was $12.- and a little work to get the hose flange JB welded on.

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

FW rear.

Like Kahuna, mine is mounted on the cabin side of the firewall...5 years and over 500 hours, no problems.

Best,

And this was on a 6 clyinder Lycoming Lightspeed III install? Just looking correct for info... :)

Brother Darryl,

Kahuna is talking about his S8, and Pierre about his 10, so pretty sure both are Lyc 6s. In the FWIW category, on my Lyc 6 I also had my LSE Plasma I on the cabin side, and when I replaced it with an Electroair, the box went cold side as well. Both systems worked well with that install technique, with no supplemental cooling.

That little fan is kinda neat too...lots of possible uses for that!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Understood for sure...

No proplem... I working on a finishing up project... "clean up" build on an F1 EVO, we just want the gentleman to have the Very Best. He is my Insurance Broker too... he has had EI issues already, just want to make him very happy. :D

Anything we can do to help... :cool:

BTW... my Lightspeed Plasma II is mounted on the firewall for 270 hrs, mounted with permission from Klaus to be there, and it works fine for a 4 cylinder set-up... temps never over 140 F ever under the cowl @ the firewall. :)

My RV10

When I upgraded the panel in my RV10 18 months ago, I added a fan like Ernst posted in his reply. I added the fan because I noticed that Lightspeed had a note in the docs recommending a fan for the 6 cylinder installations. I copied design ideas others had posted here and came up with something similar. I believe I did make a post then with a link to a supplier of those fans because they are cheap. Do a search and you should find that source. We are on a summer trip otherwise I would check my docs at home for that source.

Try this link for cooling fan source.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69975
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69975

Last edited:
Avionics fan

Garmin 430W needs a cooling fan too, I'm pretty sure, so my avionics shop hooked up a 3-port avionics blower for that plus my dual LSE boxes for my -10 on the cool side of the firewall. No issues. Just not the cheapest solution. Looks a lot like the previous postings.

D