Bluelabel

Well Known Member
I wanted to get some feedback from some people out there using this set up. I'm having Barrett build us an IO-540, 9:1Compression with CAI. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the Lightspeed Dual EI set up. Problem is: apparently Klause from Lightspeed and Allen Barret have reached some sort of an impasse due to some issues with past installations. I'd have to have the engine dyno'd at Allens shop with Mags and then put the EI system on myself (Which I feel comfortable with, but, it sure would be nice if Allen and Klause could kiss and make up).
I know there's a lot of Lightspeeds to there running on the IO-540s, so can you guys chime in, and give me your impressions? The EFII system is an option as well, and Barret has on 540 getting built up with that right now, but it is a ways out form being run.
Any input both good experiences and bad (if there are any) would be appreciated.

I run dual LSE on my 540 and have for ~1500 hours. Works as advertised. I installed myself including drilling the case for the direct crank pickup.

I run dual LSE on my 540 and have for ~1500 hours. Works as advertised. I installed myself including drilling the case for the direct crank pickup.

Who built the engine your running? Is it on a 10 or something else?

Not a DUAL set up but...

I only have 1 LSE with a Bendix mag for the secondary.

Installed it myself like above. Drilled and taped the case. I installed the optional potentiometer under the dash on the sub panel but within reach so that I could fine tune the timing curve in flight. I also have the MAP and Timing outputs maped into the dynon EFIS so that I can view and datalog timing and the MAP that the LSE thinks the engine is operating.

I have no impulse couler (additional mechanical wear device) and have it set up to start on the LSE.

530+ hrs and no issues. Yes I would definantly do it again.

If there is "some issue" that causes a MAJOR engine builder to refuse to do business with a vender, it probably isn't minor. Maybe find out the whole story before spending the $?

Dyno

I have heard of 2 of these custom engines that did not make the HP stated.
YMMV
First, this is unrelated to the thread...
If you know anything about Barrett, you should know they they are one of the few engine builders a that has a full test cell dyno with a water brake, the exact HP is known before it leaves their shop, plus it's got an hour and a half of break in done to it.
However, a potential increase in HP is probably 10th on the list of reasons I'm getting my engine from them. But thanks for the negative comment....:rolleyes:

If there is "some issue" that causes a MAJOR engine builder to refuse to do business with a vender, it probably isn't minor. Maybe find out the whole story before spending the $?
Exactly why I'm asking questions........ I've spoken in detail to both Barret and LSE about it. Ive gotten their two sides of the story, trying to find out more.
I've since found out that EFII IS working directly with Barrett and they build, from what I've seen, to be a better product than LSE, however there are fewer of them flying... Anyone running EFII on a 540? They are close enough to me I can go visit their shop in person which would be nice....:)

Go talk to Robert at EFII and you will come away convinced. I did about two weeks ago when I was in SoCal.
I did a lot of research about inductive vs. capacitive discharge before buying the EFII system.
I believe in buying from people who do good work and are easy to get along with. So I bought:
Barrett IO-540 with CAI and 9:1 pistons
and EFII ignition

I have direct experience with this. XP-400 built by Alan Barrett with test cell done with mags. Dual LSE III installed after. I like Alan a lot and my dealings with Klaus have been satisfactory.

Call for details if you wish.
Jack
214-683-5428

Thanks JD.

Go talk to Robert at EFII and you will come away convinced. I did about two weeks ago when I was in SoCal.
I did a lot of research about inductive vs. capacitive discharge before buying the EFII system.
I believe in buying from people who do good work and are easy to get along with. So I bought:
Barrett IO-540 with CAI and 9:1 pistons
and EFII ignition
Sent you a pm