N8RV

Well Known Member
If I've learned ANYTHING in 10+ years of building an RV, it's that when things don't line up, it's usually MY fault!

My spark plug leads are two different lengths. Following the instructions, I've mounted the coils and run the plug wires to the appropriate cylinders. However, the shorter wires are not long enough to reach the rear cylinders from the opposite coil.

For example, the wires will reach from one coil to cylinders #1/2 just fine, but the two remaining wires from the other coil to the rear cylinders (#3/4) are long enough to reach only one spark plug. The remaining wire is short by a couple of inches.

Am I the only one with this problem, or am I missing something elementary?

I've done a few of these, and they've always worked out fine. I'm not absolutely sure I followed your description accurately, but I'll describe it as best I can.

I mounted the coils on the bolt where the lifting hook always is. The plug wire terminals are facing forward. When you look at it from the front, one coil is to the left of center, and one is to the right. There are two lengths of wire. Each coil gets one long wire to reach the far side, and one short wire to go to the near side.

If that didn't help, sent me an email at the address below, and I'll reply with a couple pics that show the coils and wires installed.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 (at) bellsouth.net

I installed Plasma III earlier this year, and the only way the plug wires, as supplied, would reach is if they took the shortest route. This means that the bottom plug wires would have to exit the sides of the baffling. I chose to route them out the back of the baffling as the original mag wires were. You can simply send the old ones back and Klaus will send you custom ones to whatever length you specify. I don't remember if the wires for the top plugs were ok, I mixed and matched until I only needed to exchange 3 of them.

I experienced the same thing. My coils are mounted directly behind the engine hook and at first two of the wires seemed short by a couple of inches. I installed the plugs and oddly enough, the short wires reached the plugs! Screw in the plugs and make sure the short wires are going to the closest cylinders, you'll be surprised.

Jerry

Mine didn't reach either. Depends on engine type & where exactly you mounted the coils.

Just get yourself some bulk MSD 8.5mm wire and the MSD cutting crimping tool, get some terminals, use the boots that came with your original wires, and make your own custom length wires. Hard to beat a custom fit.

If you need pointers on where to buy these supplies, holler.

I should also mention...Klaus does sell custom length wires. If you price it up, his price for 4 wires is basically the same as what you'll spend if you do it yourself with bulk wire. At first glance it makes more sense to have Klaus make 'em for you.

But the difference in making custom wires yourself (other than the "it definitely fits right" and satisfaction factors) is that then you end up having the cutting/crimping tool handy for next time. If you anticipate having to replace your wires every few years or whatever, it's worth (imho) having the tool & supplies. Plus you can help your buddies make their wires.

Thanks, guys, for the help. There's a boss on the rearmost bolt that fits the coil mounting bracket perfectly, and the pictures supplied with the unit show the coils mounted there.

I'll move the coils forward a bit and see if I can make them reach. And, while I only have dessicant plugs in right now, even the shorter spark plugs won't make up a couple of inches.

It's just nice to know that others have had this problem to one degree or another. Maybe it's NOT just me ... :rolleyes:

Stoopid!

I was right in the first place -- I'm STOOPID. :eek:

I moved the coil bracket forward one bolt, then SWITCHED THE WIRES AROUND so that the long wires reach the cylinders on the opposite sides. Duh.

Thanks again for your advice. Is this a great site, or what?

Me Too.

I had the same problem and it took a lot of fiddling to make them reach.

By the way, I had made up a custom mounting bracket, as the original wouldn't work.

After a few hours I noticed the the Right Lead on the Coil was rubbing on the engine cowl- as the unit is offset to the right. See blue arrow in pic.

I repositioned the right coil from on top of the bracket to underneath and it has been fine since.

Pete.
ignitionharnesszj9.jpg