vasrv7a

Well Known Member
I have one Lightspeed EI and one magneto on my RV-7 (0-360) and have been flying it for 7 years (575 hours) with no ignition issues (EI or mag)... I have recently been told that the Lightspeed EI ignition wires should be replaced with new wires no longer than every 5 years.

I don't have any problems now that i can detect... can i please get comments on why and when i need to change out my ignition wires. What problems will i experience, and how will i know that i have any problems?

Please advise.

Thanx.

Victor

What...? Not! Must be a salesman. Too many variables.

Oh, don't forget the muffler bearings every 8 yrs. :eek:

Last edited:
Wires are cheap. A bad wire can wipe out a coil. You could just test the wires and see if they are still in spec.

Or have a couple beers and call Klaus and ask why they need to be changed.
Report back here if you do.........

Take a look at the info on the Manecor website, they elude to the fact that many of the "popular" high performance ignition wires will deteriorate over time. Good reading as well.

"Unfortunately, and particularly with the use of high-output ignitions, the outermost high-resistance conductive coating over spiral windings acting as the conductor will fail from burn out in the same manner as carbon conductors, and although in most cases, the spiral conductor will not cease to conduct like a high-resistance carbon conductor, any RFI or EMI suppression will be lost as a consequence of the coating burning out. The worst interference will come from the so-called "super conductors" that are wound with copper (alloy) wire."

Well...

You can't put a "year" replacement on the wires. I know of builders that have had EI ignitions systems installed on their projects for longer than "five" years and they have never even started the engine. I would never advise them to replace them. :)