prkaye

Well Known Member
Does my lightspeed elec ign module need a blast tube feeding coolinbg air to it (the way a mag does)? I don't want to waste cooling air pressure if the lightspeed doesn't need this.

I'm pretty sure Lightspeed recommends mounting the controller on the cold side of the firewall. If it was on the hot side, sounds like a good idea. If you mean the coil, no, it isn't as heat sensitive.

I'm actually wondering about the part that mounts to the back of the engine, where the mag would normally go... I think its called the hall effect sensor. Does this need a blast of cooling air the way a mag does?

phil I do not believe the Hall sensor needs a blast tube but if you have the Plasma III system Klaus reccomends directing some cooling air into the unit using a standard avionics or computor type fan. The plasma III unit has a plastic tube tube that can be used for air intake.

Hall Effects cooling

Hello Phil
I've got dual LSE system on my RV-4 with Hall Effects and I have a blast tube directed at each of them.. The loss of cooling air is to my believe minimal vs the Hall Effects benefits of being kept cool IMHO

Bruno
RV-4 C-GDBH
[email protected]

I did put a cooling blast tube on the LSE Hall effect sensor on my RV-7A. I don't know if it is absolutely needed, but I am a firm believer in cooling electronics to prolong the life.

Vic

Had a LS 2 with Hall Effect; flew 450 hrs no blast tube no problem.

LS version has no bearing on the Hall Effect sensor, which is the same unit no matter the control unit used.

Klaus states he tests the control box past 200 degrees F for failure mode, I run 102 degree F in flight on the firewall. This install was discussed with Klaus, and he states it's not an issue. Ground taxi you will see 140 degrees F on the high side MAX on my install. The Hall Effect set-up WILL be much higher in temp at the unit.

Last edited:
The plasma III unit has a plastic tube tube that can be used for air intake.
That vent is only on the 6-cylinder box. Klaus' website has a 'service bulletin' link that discusses it and says it is not required for the 4-cylinder versions.