tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

I've gotten differing opinions on this topic from various sources, and I was hopeful I could get the group's experience on this.

For those that have mounted the coils on top of the engine, have there been any reliability problems due to heat? I am guessing that it may be "better" to mount them on the motor mount to minimize heat exposure, although I don't have any real data on the difference. My preference would obviously be to mount on the engine due to the simplified installation (and not having to buy new wires).

I have a SJ plenum, although I am not sure that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Scott

Lightspeed Coil Mounting

Mounting the coils to the top of the engine is not a problem, the heat from the engine should not bother them. Most if not all cars now have individual coils mounted on top of the cam covers directly over the spark plugs or mounted on top of the engine with wires running to the plugs just like the Lightspeed setup.

I have 250 hrs on mine with no trouble at all, they are mounted on the top of the engine just in from of the rear baffle.

Coils on the top of the engine will be at ambient during normal operations, while those on the warm side of the cooling air won't be. They might see a little higher temperatures after shutdown on the top of the engine, but so will those on the motor mounts.

For what it's worth, my engine came from Mattituck with the LSE coils already mounted on top.

mcb

I have measured this.

With extra temp probs for my engine monitor. During flight the temp on top the engine was about 5 degrees higher then ambient. After shutdown it went up to about 100 degree above ambient. Between the firewall and the back of the engine had the same temp increase after shutdown, but ran much higher during flight.

Kent