trib

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the lightspeed plasma II ignition system box? I'm trying to layout the real estate behind the panel and need to know how much space this occupies.

Thanks as always for the help.

Box is 5.25 by 5.5 by 1.5. Actual footprint is 6.125 by 5.5 The mounting holes form a rectangle 5.72 by 3.75.

Keep in mind that the cable that goes from the control box to the sensor located by the prop comes with both ends already on it. You need to plan where you will be locating the box so you can make sure the cable length will be enough. They will make a custom length for you. Check with Klaus on the length. My wire run just made it. I was lucky as I had mounted the box with no planning!!

Speaking of connectors

Don't forget the clearances you need to plug in the D-sub on one end and the coax on the other end.

Before I drilled a hole big enough for a D-Sub connector, I would buy a D-sub pin extractor and take the pins out, pass the wires through the hole and then reinsert the pins. Radio shack has an extractor, Less than $10.

Soldered pins

The pins are soldered and Klaus really doesn't like it when you remove the pins (discussed in other threads).

I just finished cutting the hole for mine. I cut a slot approx 1 1/4 x 9/16 which is big enough for the d-sub with the shell removed. The slot is small enough I can cover it using a 2-piece SS firewall shield.

I cut a hole in a piece of scrap to make sure I had the size right before cutting the firewall. I then used the scrap as both a template and a doubler.

Thanks for all the help friends. Ask a simple question and then get advice for questions you hadn't even come up with yet! What a great bunch.