Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I'm looking for comments from anyone that has had a chance to compare the 30-3G and the 20-3G from Lightspeed, and how they felt about the difference. I am sure someone has visited their booth at a recent show and tried them on....

I have flown with a trusty Lightspeed 20 for probably 8 years, and am totally sold on the company (very good customer support) and happy with the product. I am thinking of "promoting"my current unit to the backseat, to a replace my trusty old non-ANR David Clark's, which are beginning to show their age. (Amazing how much abuse they'll take, and still keep going...even when you kinds sorts want them to die - know what I mean? ;) )

I'm not looking for comments on the new super-ultra-light in the ear units - I'm a Luddite (and more importantly, so is my flight surgeon) who has yet to be convinced that the hearing protection is there...I'm just trying to see if the 30 is a big enough step up from the 20 to justify the extra money!

Paul

Paul,

I tried both of them at the Reno Air Races last year. I couldn't tell much difference so I bought the less expensive 20-3G. I used them for a couple of weeks and bought another set.

have both of them

Paul,

I bought a 30-3G set originally when I began flying my -7A. After I flew off my hours, I bought the 20-3G's for my co-pilot set. I can't tell a difference in flight with the ANR on between the two. Other features that I can discuss:

- 30-3G: I like the music playback in them a bit better due to the bass and treble boost features.

- 20-3G: I like the ANR switch on the control box better than the 30's as it can't get turned off with a slight bump as do the 30-3G's.

Summary - If I had it to do over I would have bought (2) pairs of 20's.

Jeff

30-3G Experience

Paul,
I traded in my older generation Lightspeed for a 30-3G about 6 months ago and except for some extra ANR noise at takeoff when the earcups are not sealed perfectly (cheap sunglasses) and the super sensitive on/off button I am very happy with their performance.

Ironflight said:
I'm just trying to see if the 30 is a big enough step up from the 20 to justify the extra money!
Paul
I've owned both, and I couldn't really tell any difference between the two. Matter of fact, I actually preferred my old 20XL to either of them.

Thanks everyone! I just spent the afternoon having a hangar party to celebrate the airplane coming home, and that ended with rides for about 8 kids in a row. Even THEY couldn't break my old DC completely...I guess I'm going to have to get a bigger hammer.....gotta have a good reason to upgrade!

Paul

I started with the 20-3G and once my time was flown off and I needed another pair I got the 30-3G. Cannot really tell a difference. If I did it again I would save the money and buy another 20.

Scott - #90598 - N598SD Flying - 52 hours

Tried both at Sun-N-fun and I could not tell the difference so I bought the 20. I flew home from SUN-n-FUN with them and they worked great.But forget about the headsets, the paint job ROCKS!