prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm putting two duckworks leading edge lights. One will be aimed as a landing light and one as a taxi light. Is there a convention as to which wing should have the landing light, and which should have the taxi light?

Good question!

I would like to know also.

Although I don't think it will be a big deal, as the installation I got from Duckworths allowed for a pretty good amount of adjustment.

I will wait for the wisdom of previous builders/fliers.

Good question! I just assumed I would make the left wing my taxi light since I'll be S-Turning down the taxiway and mostly see out the pilot's side. Maybe I'm not thinking about it right.

Good Idea

jcoloccia said:
Good question! I just assumed I would make the left wing my taxi light since I'll be S-Turning down the taxiway and mostly see out the pilot's side. Maybe I'm not thinking about it right.

That make sense to me. Thanks for the input.

Yes

We also have our taxi light in the left wing since that's where the pilot sits (usually) and it's aimed much closer than the landing light.

Regards,

I don't know if there's a convention but I put my landing light in the left wing. I have an "A" model so I pointed the landing light more down than the taxi light, which I aimed fairly level. That way it will illuminate the runway (and forward) when the nose comes up during the flare. Should also give the benefit of illuminating close-up when taxiing. I would guess that the aiming would be the opposite with a tail dragger- taxi light aimed lower than landing light.

Take this for what you think it's worth, I'm not flying yet.

Jim Percy
N373JP
DAR inspection this weekend!

Taxi on the left, landing right. Nose or tail dragger, the pilot's best ground view is on the left side.

The Duckworks don't have sufficient adjustment for a taxi light with the template screw locations. The left side should be turned more towards centerline, and, particularly in a tail dragger, you must point it considerably downward. Therefore move the upper screw locations foward 1/2 inch, bottoms aft 1/4 inch from Duckworks template, and both port screws an additional 1/4 inch forward. You don't need to move the wing cutout.

John Siebold
Two -7s

Good advice!

RV7ator said:
Taxi on the left, landing right. Nose or tail dragger, the pilot's best ground view is on the left side.

The Duckworks don't have sufficient adjustment for a taxi light with the template screw locations. The left side should be turned more towards centerline, and, particularly in a tail dragger, you must point it considerably downward. Therefore move the upper screw locations foward 1/2 inch, bottoms aft 1/4 inch from Duckworks template, and both port screws an additional 1/4 inch forward. You don't need to move the wing cutout.

John Siebold
Two -7s

Thanks for the tip. Im about to close my wings, good timing. :)

I understand the taxi-left, landing-right setup perfectly for a taildragger. But the way I imagine it with that setup on my nosedragger, my left wing taxi light will be pointing skyward during the flare. At the same time, much of the runway being illuminated by my right wing landing light will be blocked by the elevated nose. Still seems much more logical to go Landing-left, taxi-right for the "A" models. What am I missing?

Jim Percy

Jim Percy said:
I understand the taxi-left, landing-right setup perfectly for a taildragger. But the way I imagine it with that setup on my nosedragger, my left wing taxi light will be pointing skyward during the flare. At the same time, much of the runway being illuminated by my right wing landing light will be blocked by the elevated nose. Still seems much more logical to go Landing-left, taxi-right for the "A" models. What am I missing?
Jim, I personally think you've got it right for the A model.

tweak later?

How easy is it to ajust the aim of these things after everything is installed and you start taxi-trials?

prkaye said:
How easy is it to ajust the aim of these things after everything is installed and you start taxi-trials?
As far as the Duckworks lights are concerned, the model I have is easy to realign.

Remove the lens from the wing (6 screws), loosen up the 4 screws that hold the mounting plate to the ribs, and then just move the plate around however needed. Tighten the 4 screws, replace the lens, done deal.

Jim,

When flared, you're very interested in peripheral vision, likely even looking to your 10-11 o'clock to judge the last few inches until touchdown, especially if there are no runway lights. Light aimed straight ahead is rather useless in the flare because your view is blocked by the nose no matter from which side it's projected, and it's now pointed skyward if it was aimed to do the most good during approach. Still, there is considerable glow out the underside of the Duckworks wing lens that helps with height reference. If you're a left side pilot, there's a lot more airplane blocking your vision to the right than left in any attitude, no matter tail or nose dragger. Therefore, I still recommend left side taxi lighting for left side pilots.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Ditto. I've got my -7A setup with taxi light in the left wingtip and landing on the right. Much easier and important to see where you're going at night on the ground this way.

It was also based on my flight instruction experience which taught me and my students that they made BETTER night landings after I turned the landing light off. Presumably, that's because they took in a more peripheral and further down the runway view during the flare instead of fixating on the rather smallish area illuminated by a light beam, and sometimes almost driving the plane into the pavement.

I hope this doesn't sound naive because I've never flown a taildragger, but it seems that the angle wouldn't be too terribly different for landing or taxi. It even seems that the taxi light might need more of a down angle than the landing light, which is the reverse of the A models.

But, put them where you want them, isn't that why you built the plane?

Mike

AUTO HEADLIGHTS

I'm just curious why you guys don't use high/low beam auto headlights. That way you can have both landing & taxi light on each wing. You can even wire them to operate high/low simultaneously for maximum lighting.

I've got 1 HID (L/L) and 1 regular round light (taxi). My set up was determined by my A/P servo. Servo in 1 wing and HID in the other to balance the lateral weight.

Jekyll

BOBM said:
I'm just curious why you guys don't use high/low beam auto headlights. That way you can have both landing & taxi light on each wing. You can even wire them to operate high/low simultaneously for maximum lighting.

I couldn't figure out how to put a dimmer lever on my stick. :eek:

Jekyll