rkochcyxh

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I took my daughter flying on Friday. First time. She now wants to get her license. Great way to start a weekend. Anyway, Christmas is coming and my family has indicated that they are willing to buy me some instruments for X-mas.
I'm not starting my RV9 til Jan,2006. Question. What is the dif between 14 and 28 Volt systems(besides 14volts)? Why use either or? I enjoy night flying and am undecided on now to light my panel. Should I order my ASI, VS, AL lite or use another sourse to light my panel?
Thanks for your input.
Russel :)

starting in 06

Don't buy any inst at this point, depending on how fast you build, technology is changing every second, and the price is falling all the while.. If I would have bought any of those inst, (I am mounting engine) I would have missed out on some amazing stuff.. save those for last.. just my opinion but many others feel that way also..

Danny..

The primary difference is that all of the automotive stuff is 12v. That means spin-off aero stuff for the homebuilt market can build on the economies of scale provided by the automotive product market. Examples include, lights, engine instruments, batteries, starters, alternators, auxiliary power, etc. can come from non-aviation sources. The non-aviation sources are far less expensive.

If you go 24v, everything you use will have to come from aviation sources. No buying a $8 landing light bulb at Pep Boys. No $60 battery from E-bay. No $30 battery charger from Wal-Mart that'll keep your battery topped off. Forget to top off your battery? With a 24v system, you won't be able to jump your airplane from your car.

Bottom line, 12v makes your life easier and reduces your expenses.