prkaye

Well Known Member
Is there any better, more economical lighting system for the -9A than Vans Lighting System 6? I need to be legal for night flying, and I want a system that is striaght-forward to install.

Are your tip lights enclosed?

You don't say if your wingtip lights will be enclosed or not.
I assume yes since you are looking at the combination tail light/strobe.
Aeroflash wingtip lights/strobe = $375 + tail light/strobe = $229. Total $604. Aircraft Spruce prices.
If you wingtip light/strobes are not enclosed, you won't need the tail strobe. Wingtip lights/strobes with tail lights = $443 total.

Craig

I have been considering the Quickstrobes as well. Have you checked the specs and is the flash rate within FAA spec?

Thanks.

Craig

I have been considering the Quickstrobes as well. Have you checked the specs and is the flash rate within FAA spec?

Thanks.

Quickstrobes have a quad-flash rate of 70 flashes per minute.
According to FAR Part 23.1401(c): Anticollision Light System:
The arrangement of the system, that is, the number of light sources, beam width, speed of rotation, and other characteristics, must give an effective flash frequency of not less than 40, nor more than 100, cycles per minute. The effective flash frequency is the frequency at which the airplane's complete anticollision light system is observed from a distance, and applies to each sector of light including any overlaps that exist when the system consists of more than one light source. In overlaps, flash frequencies may exceed 100, but not 180, cycles per minute.

Now, I'm not real clear on what overlap means, but I think I'm within the regs. I'd be willing to bet Mel could chime in and clarify for us......

Last edited:
Wing tip landing lights

Does anyone know if there is a wing tip landing light system similar to Van's RV-10 kit that will work on the 9? I really want to do a wing tip installation and keep the leading edge clean. The 10 kit would be ideal but I'm guessing it won't fit in the W-915 tip. Thanks in advance.
Frank

kits

Based on discussions last year with a few makers at Osh and the rapid changes in leds, I am hoping Aveo, Aeroled etc put together a complete quality package that will include reasonable pricing this year. I hope thats not too much to ask but I have my fingers crossed. Waiting for good pireps from Sun n Fun of what packages are offered.

Note regarding the Aeroflash units ...

..that Mel mentioned above. I bought exactly that package for the reasons Mel noted. Found out the tail strobe does not fit the flat spot on the rudder bottom fairing ...it's significantly larger. Now I'll have to either make glass/micro mods to accomodate the larger strobe, or use the smaller Whelen rudder strobe with my Aeroflash power supply. Don't know if the latter will work or not.